Using an SEO plugin

Support Area Forums Foxy Using an SEO plugin

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Terence
    Participant

When I switch off the native SEO functionality, because I always use Joost’s SEO plugin, for example, what exactly is switched off and what remains?

Bill Robbins

It will move titles and descriptions to the plugin. Everything else will stay the same.

Terence
    Participant

OK, cool. Thanks. Is there anyway to SEO the custom post types, like Staff, Food and Services? Also, is there anyway to easily rename one or more of these, or even if they could be configurable in a future version? Also, for some reason, Joost’s plugin doesn’t seem to working on the root of the domain, only pages and posts.

Bill Robbins

On the Dashboard screen under the SEO plugin, there is a series of checkboxes where you can enable the SEO options for the various custom post types and taxonomies. That’s probably the best way to have good control of the titles and descriptions.

If you don’t mind editing the theme, you can rename some of these. There are three files inside the “includes” folder in the theme called “post-type-food.php, post-type-services.php, and post-type-staff.php” and you can adjust the names in these files. If you change the names inside there you’ll also need to rename these files to match:

single-staff.php
    single-food.php
    single-service.php
    taxonomy-menu-group.php
    taxonomy-service-group.php
    taxonomy-staff-group.php

Justin Tadlock has a great article on custom post types that can help you with editing them.

Terence
    Participant

Yes, I am aware of that, since as I said I use it on all my sites, and they were all filled in but not giving the anticipated result, which is why I wrote here.

I have “%%title%% | %%sitename%% | %%sitedesc%%” entered on the Staff, Food and Services (likewise Post and Page Titles), but I’m getting “favicon title – sitename” (no site title, wrong separator, no site name or description), for custom post types, so its not working there at all, and on the home page, i.e. root domain, I’m getting “favicon | sitename | sitedesc”, so its working partially there (missing the site title).

I haven’t looked yet, but I guess you used a variant of “<?php wp_title(''); ?>” in the header.php, and if so, I can edit that. Just not sure what to do about the custom post types.

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

If you want to take a quick look at what’s happening, I’ve moved it from the dev server to the host site. You can check it out here http://www.catteryinthecountry.co.uk/ — it only has your sample data on it at the moment and a few of my backgrounds.

Bill Robbins

With the SEO disabled, the only thing left behind is:

<title><?php wp_title(”); ?></title>

which is what I understand Joost wants for his plugin in regards to the page title. If you’d like to make any changes, feel free to. This area is located at the top of header.php.

Terence
    Participant

Hmmm, that’s correct, not sure why that’s not working on the home page, nor the custom post types, better go Skype him and see what Joost thinks about that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Using an SEO plugin’ is closed to new replies.