Updating old version of Bottega

Support Area Forums Bottega Updating old version of Bottega

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question: http://crumbssandwichbar.ie
  • Author
    Helen
    Participant

Hi Bill, I set up a website last year for a restaurant using the old version of Bottega, and it all worked out very well. Since then I’ve only been doing routine maintenance. But now I’m being asked to update their food menu and make some other changes for their 10th anniversary, and realise that of course the Bottega theme has been updated in the meantime. So I’m wondering how to go about applying this update without reinstalling the entire theme and disrupting the site – I don’t see any obvious way of doing this. I definitely don’t want to do the site again from scratch!

I’m a novice web designer, and the site looks unbelievably complicated more than a year on! It’s going to take me a while to reacquaint myself with all the details. Is there any way of creating the new pulldown food menu alongside the old and then archiving the old one for posterity? Or should I just amend the old menu? I guess the options may become clearer when I look at the changes in the Bottega theme.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Helen

Bill Robbins

Hello Helen,

Great questions. The major change that will affect you if you update the theme will be the menu page template. It’s been changed so that it no longer pulls the descriptions of the menu groups from the theme options. The descriptions are now set by editing the menu groups directly (there is a built-in spot for descriptions there).

What I would do is copy the descriptions out of the theme options and place them directly into the menu groups before making the switch.

There is a section in the theme’s documentation at https://support.organizedthemes.com/bottega-theme-instructions/ that can walk you through the various options related to the menu.

If I was in your shoes, I would create a local copy of the site on my computer. That way it’s possible to make changes and make sure you understand how everything works before tackling the live version.

If I can help out, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Updating old version of Bottega’ is closed to new replies.