Updating Bottega Theme

Support Area Forums Bottega Updating Bottega Theme

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Elan Akin
    Participant

So excited about the update to Bottega. Will you explain how to update to the new version without losing any previous work I’ve already completed?

Thanks!

Elan Akin
    Participant

Much easier than expected. Just had to unzip the Bottega file, rename the parent folder to Bottega2 and then compress it again. Then I just uploaded it to wordpress through their install feature.

However, I ran into another snag. The home page template is not working. Currently I am unable to view the slideshow and the featured row now looks like blog posts. Plus everything else is missing.

Thanks for the help!

Bill Robbins

Elan,

Great question and sorry for the confusion. With this update, we switched from a built in home page to a home page template. Here’s how to set-up your home page:

1. Go to the “pages” section of your WordPress dashboard and create a page called “Home.”
    2. In the right hand column while creating the page, you’ll see a box labeled “Page Attributes.”
    3. In that box there is a drop-down for page templates. Choose “Home” and then publish your page.
    4. Next go to the Settings section of your dashboard and select “Reading.”
    5. At the top of this page you can choose to have the front page display your latest posts or to display a static page.
    6. Choose to use a static page and then select your “Home” page from the drop-down.
    7. Update your settings.

If you run into any questions or trouble, let me know

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Talisman
    Participant

I definitely want to update to the responsive version of this wonderful theme, but I’m concerned about losing all my work on our current front page. It sounds like I might have to redo it, if I’m understanding your step-by-step instructions here. Or will the new “Home” page pick up my current static homepage settings and stick them into the new template? Just want to check before jumping in.

Thanks!

J.

Bill Robbins

Good question…you don’t want to jump in before knowing what changes will be made.

The new home page will work like the original one did. It’ll pull in the same widgets and theme options that have been there since version 2.0.0.

Any actual modifications you made to the theme files won’t be carried over.

What I would suggest doing is uploading the updated theme to a different folder instead of overwriting your existing theme. That way you can easily switch back if you need to for some reason.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Talisman
    Participant

Sounds fine. I’ll download the updated theme and try it out in a secondary directory. I’m just dying to get the responsive features in place–way better than any mobile plugin!

Thanks,
    J.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Updating Bottega Theme’ is closed to new replies.