tab at the top to install themes?

Support Area Forums Agency tab at the top to install themes?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    DNRICE
    Participant

I cannot find the correct tab when I’m logged into WordPress.

I’m using Firefox and am logged into my blog site online.
    I downloaded Agency theme.
    I opened the .zip file and everything looks ready to go.

Your directions state:

Installation:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel.
    2. Select themes.
    3. Select the tab at the top to install themes.
    4. Choose upload theme from link in new tab.

I do not see this tab.

Bill Robbins

Dana,

It sounds like your site is hosted by WordPress.com. They actually don’t allow users to bring their own themes and plugins to WordPress.com. In order to use our themes and your own plugins, you’ll need a self-hosted WordPress site.

You can find good, inexpensive hosting at Host Gator and Blue Host. Both of those companies have easy WordPress installers that can get your site up and running quickly and easily.

If you have any questions, let me know,
    Bill

DNRICE
    Participant

I’m in need of some more information of the “basics” if I’m going to figure this out, so bear with me!

Some questions I need to understand:

1) I do NOT want to just use WP Domain Mapping b/c essentially my blog is still hosted by WordPress.com, correct?

2) Therefore, if WP hosts my blog, I cannot use this custom theme b/c WordPress does not allow my own theme, correct?

3) If I have my domain hosted by 1 and 1 (not a great favorite of the WP community), what do I do to create the blog, with my new Agency theme template, as hosted by 1 and 1?

4) Will I move the blog over? FTP files? Start from scratch? What is the best way to handle this.

I’m stuck and would really like to understand what to do next.

Bill Robbins

Dana,

You are correct, instead of using domain mapping, you’ll want to use your own hosting for your site since WordPress.com doesn’t allow you to bring your own themes.

You can use 1&1 to host your site…no problem there. When I first got started, they actually hosted this site and all of my client’s sites.

I believe they have an installer for WordPress that you can use inside their control panel to actually add WordPress to your server. Once that’s done you can then add the theme to your site (there is a quick screencast in the video section that walks through installing a theme).

You can also export the content of your WordPress.com blog and import it into your new site at 1&1. Go to tools inside your WordPress control panel and select “export” to download a file of your content. To import it, go to tools in your new site and select import.

If you run into trouble, or have any questions, just let me know.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

DNRICE
    Participant

Thanks for the super quick response! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘tab at the top to install themes?’ is closed to new replies.