Setting up Home Page

Support Area Forums Epic Setting up Home Page

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Charles Smith
    Participant

I am having trouble just getting started with Epic… I know it is something probably pretty simple but when I browse to the root of the site, it defaults to the Sample Page? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

http://wesleyepic.onlinestructural.com/

Bill Robbins

Charles,

Let’s see if we can get things going for you. The content at the bottom of the home page is made up of widgets. You can change those out by going to the Appearance section and selecting Widgets.

The demo uses four widgets on the home page: Contact, Latest Podcast, Text and Home Page Posts. The Home Top sidebar is used when you have the home page option set to sidebar. That will shrink the slideshow a bit and add that widget area next to it.

If you need any help, let me know,
    Bill

Charles Smith
    Participant

Yes but for some reason the “Home Page ” is not displaying when you browse ti the site URL:
    http://wesleyepic.onlinestructural.com/

The Sample Post page is?

BTW … My daughters came down to visit for a belated Fathers Day present of a trip to Florence SC to see Chris Tomlin in concert tonight… Time to get the worship time on…

Talk to you Monday about the site….

Bill Robbins

Chuck,

I hope you had a great time at the concert. Let’s see if we can’t get this straightened out for you. When you say you don’t see the home page, do you mean you’ve created a WordPress page that you’d like to have as your home page?

If that’s the case you’ll need to disable the built in home page. To do that, you’ll need to use a FTP program or the file browser in your web host’s control panel to browse to the wp-content/themes/epic folder and delete or rename the home.php file. That will remove the built in home page from the theme and allow you to specify a different page for your home.

If you have something else in mind, just let me know,
    Bill

Charles Smith
    Participant

Concert was AWESOME!

Sorry, but I just took a shortcut and reinstalled WP and Epic … now works fun…

Bill Robbins

Glad the concert was so good. It’s been about five years since I last saw him in concert…I need to get back out there.

If you run into any trouble, just let me know,
    Bill

Charles Smith
    Participant

The biggest problem I am having is putting the pieces together.

I added a contact widget to Home Sidebar but it does not appear on the Homepage. I am trying to get the home page setup with sample data with the slideshow:

1) In Appearance, Customize –> I have static page selected…. and the image that is displayed on the right as a preview shows my Contact Module and the search and is not displaying…. however the actual web site does not show the new widget
    2) In Appearance –> Theme Options –> Home Page I have selected Slideshow…

So how exactly do I move around the widgets on the Slideshow page with no sidebar. By default Epic is configured with the widgets located in the Widget –> Homepage Sidebar and I am assuming that this is how I configure the widgets on the Home slideshow

Bill Robbins

Chuck,

I believe I understand. The theme has a built in home page that is only visible when the reading settings are set to “Show latest posts.” So you don’t actually have to create a page to serve as your home page. If you change the reading settings to display your latest posts that should bring up the home page.

I’ve used the built in home page because for most of my customers, they aren’t aware that there is a setting for choosing a static home page and since the “show latest posts” is the default, that generally worked best for everyone.

I’ve started changing that this summer in our themes as we update them. With each update I change the home.php file to a page-home.php template that people can optionally use. Along those lines, with updates, I’m adding in support for the theme customizer. Right now only Foxy has support for the customizer.

Hopefully setting the reading settings to show latest posts will bring up your home page widgets. If not, let me know.

Bill

Participant

I have gone in to my Epic Slide menu, added 2 slides as selected to save them as “featured image”. Cannot get any slides to populate my home page.

Thank you,

Bill Robbins

Kim,

I took a look at your site and it appears that you haven’t set any of the theme options yet. You’ll want to go to the Appearance section and select “Theme Options.” There are three different layout options for the top of the home page and one of those will have to be selected before the slides will be visible.

There’s a guide to the theme at https://support.organizedthemes.com/5551/epic/ that you might find helpful in getting started.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Setting up Home Page’ is closed to new replies.