Resize home page slideshow

Support Area Forums Foundation Resize home page slideshow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Edward Bialashewski
    Participant

Is there a way to make the slideshow on the homepage a different size? I know that if I change the width that will change the entire layout of the page. How about making it not as tall? Thanks

Bill Robbins

You can change the slideshow height. Here’s how to do it:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php and look for this spot:

add_image_size(‘slide’, 630, 420, true);

3. Change the 420 to the number of pixels tall you’d like to make the slideshow.
    4. Save your changes.
    5. Open the style.css file and look for this spot:

#slider {
      position:relative;
      z-index: 1;
      margin: 0;
      padding: 0;
      overflow: hidden;
      width: 630px;
      height: 420px;
      background:#ccc url(images/loading.gif) no-repeat 50% 50%;
      }

6. Change the height: 420px; to the value you set in the functions.php file.

That will affect all future images you upload. To change ones you’ve already added, you’ll need to use the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Edward Bialashewski
    Participant

Hi Bill,

If I do change the height of the slideshow, how will that effect the sidebar widgets and spacing?

Bill Robbins

The top part of the home page will be as tall as either the slideshow or the widget area is. If one side is taller than the other, then there will be a space below the other side. Everything from the donation/newsletter bar on down will still be the same.

Bill Robbins

The slideshow is set to show five images by default, but you can change that. Here’s how.

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose home.php and look for this spot:
      ‘posts_per_page’ => 5
    3. Replace the 5 with -1 to show all slides
    4. Save your changes

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Resize home page slideshow’ is closed to new replies.