One Last Thing: Mobile Version

Support Area Forums Bottega One Last Thing: Mobile Version

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Talisman
    Participant

Well, I thought you’d be rid of me, but I found one more area I have to fix. My client didn’t like the mobile version of the site, as the text was too small to read on a phone. So she asked me to use a plugin that would create a real mobile version of the site instead (with simple menus, latest posts, etc.). I installed WPTouch, which can toggle back and forth between the mobile version and the full version.

WPTouch renders *most* of the site correctly, but when I click on “Menus” (to go to the starters, salads, main courses, etc.), the mobile version just pulls up an empty post page with a comment form. I realize this is probably because WPTouch isn’t designed to work with your special menu group/menu item taxonomy. But is there some kind of workaround I can create so that clicking “Menus” brings up a single page with all the menu items on it? I already did this in the Bottega theme anyway, just in case someone didn’t click on a submenu section but clicked “Menus” by itself. But I can’t figure out how to get the mobile app to pull up the entire list. Should I change the “Menus” page from a “menu page” template to a redirect that goes to a post (which will contain the entire menu I enter by hand)? That’s the only thing that occurs to me…

Thanks again!

Jennie

Bill Robbins

Jennie,

I believe the free version of WP Touch doesn’t support custom post types. Our menus are built on those which is why it doesn’t display them.

Since their theme overrides what’s included in the Bottega theme itself, I’m not sure you can code a work around. You could use the Menu page template to list all of your menu items. Then view the resulting page in a browser and view the source code. Copy the generated code that corresponds to the menu and then paste it into a page template that you only show in the mobile version. That’s a thought at least.

They do have a “Pro” version that you can get for $49 where they support custom post types, but I’m not sure how they display them.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Talisman
    Participant

I did it! I answered my own question. All you have to do is create a page and label it “Menu” or whatever (as long as it isn’t identical to what is in the site’s own regular menu), then put the menu items into it (I just copied and pasted from the full “Menus” page). WPTouch then “sees” the page and makes it an optional menu item in its own taxonomy.

So in WPTouch’s settings, I unchecked the box next to “Menus” (which is what is used in the theme’s own menu) and checked the box by “Menu,” which is my mobile version page. Works like a charm. You can check it out if you visit thetalismanrestaurant.com/main on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or Android device.

I do love figuring out a workaround! No need to buy the pro version, either. 😉

All the best,
    Jennie

Bill Robbins

Sweet!

chowsir88
    Participant

Bill,
    The home page has default with 4 posts and I cannot click the icon on iphone goto the post page, also I have checked the theme demo as well and it is not working as well.

I can click the icon post with (Windows, Mac, Ipad and Samsung Note) but not the iphone.
    Please advice how to fix this issue.

Bill Robbins

Ricky,

Thank you for your business first of all. I took a look back through the Bottega Theme Demo but I didn’t find any links that I couldn’t click on my iPhone.

If you’ll send a link to the URL where you’re having trouble and also let me know which link on that page you can’t click, I’ll be glad to look at it for you.

Thanks and enjoy your week,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘One Last Thing: Mobile Version’ is closed to new replies.