More tag on blog posts

Support Area Forums Foundation More tag on blog posts

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Erin Tillotson
    Participant

I’m trying to use the more tag on my client’s blog as her posts are quite long. But the more tag is not working.

Is there something that needs to be updated on her theme possibly?

Thanks so much for your help!
    ~Erin

Bill Robbins

Erin,

Your timing on this question couldn’t be better. I just encountered this with someone wanting to use the content instead of the excerpt for their staff listing page and we couldn’t get the “more” tag to work their either.

It turn out that it won’t work with WordPress page by default, but you can change that. Here’s how:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page-blog.php and look for this spot:

<div class="post">

3. Right above that paste this:
    4. Save your changes.

Hopefully now you’ll be able to use the more tag.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Andrew Nelson
    Participant

how do i disable the more tag? it’s pushing down my nav bar at the top with [more ยป” />]

Bill Robbins

Andrew,

If it’s pushing down your navigation bar, then it sounds like something is filtering the excerpt tag which may be interfering with the built-in page descriptions. Here’s what I’d suggest.

1. Go to the theme options page.
    2. On the Identity tab, select “no” to not include the Built In SEO.
    3. Save your changes.

After you do that, you’ll want to use a SEO plugin such as WordPress SEO by Yoast. That will handle your page titles and descriptions for you then.

Let me know if you have any trouble and thank you for your business,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘More tag on blog posts’ is closed to new replies.