Menu Permalinks

Support Area Forums Bottega Menu Permalinks

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Preedee Chenhansa
    Participant

How do I change the default menu item permalinks? It is currently defaulting to [website]/organizedthemes_menu/[item/

I would like to remove “organizedthemes_” and leave it as just “menu”. Thanks.

Bill Robbins

Preedee,

Good question. To change the permalinks, go to the Settings section and select Permalinks. There are quite a few options there. Generally I recommend using the “post name” option.

Once you’ve selected something other than the default, update your settings. After the page refreshes, click update again.

That should change the URL structure for you.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Andrew Thursby
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I am having the same issue as Preedee. After updating the permalink structure it does indeed change most of the permalinks, however the menu group permalinks still include the organisedthemes_.
    When changing them it only allows you to change the final part of the permalink, i.e. [item] from the above example.

Andrew

Bill Robbins

Gotcha Andrew. That part of the URL is set outside of the permalink structure.

The easiest way to have control over how your URL’s appear would be to use pages instead of linking to the menu groups directly. That way you can set the “slug” for each one and have it look exactly as you’d like it to.

Then on the page, you can use the menu shortcode to list your menu items from a group. The shortcode looks like this:

Just replace burgers with the “slug” of the menu group you’d like to display. You can find the slug by going to the Food section and selecting “Menu Groups.” The slug will be listed next to each group.

You can use that to have list just one group, or you can use several of these shortcodes to list multiple ones on the same page.

That’s the simplest solution and will give you the most control over how the URL’s look.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Andrew Thursby
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the help, that worked for most of it however the featured row menu group is used for the thumbnail links on the front page. For some reason the redirects aren’t working correctly on these, they cause 3-4 redirects and some aren’t even ending up on the correct page!

The website is elnonno.com.au if you want to take a look, the functions link works correctly.

Actually looking at it now I think the menu items are being posted into a group called organizedthemes_menu, perhaps changing it from menu group to category on the featured row display and making blog posts with redirects would work better.

I’ll do that and let you know how I go.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Bill Robbins

Andrew,

It is possible to edit the theme so that the organizedthemes_menu is changed to something else.

Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Plugins section and select Add New.
    2. Search for the WP Editor plugin and install/activate it.
    3. Go to the Appearance section and select Theme Editor.
    4. On the right, you’ll see the files included with the theme. Choose the includes folder and then the menu-type file in it.
    5. Look down to line 35 and you should see this:

'menu_icon' 			=> get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/images/food.png',

6. Right above that, paste this:

'rewrite' => array( 'slug' => 'menu-item' ),

7. Change the menu to the text you’d like to have in your URL’s. It must be lowercase and not contain any capital letters.
    8. Save your changes.
    9. Next go to the permalinks settings again and save your changes. Once the page refreshes, save your changes again.

That will change the URL structure for your menu items. If it was possible, I would build in a method for changing this from the theme options page, but it simply won’t work.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Menu Permalinks’ is closed to new replies.