Menu Pages

Support Area Forums Moonrise Menu Pages

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    David Esrati
    Participant

Good afternoon!

I’m currently working on a restaurant site for a client. I am using the built-in Menu pages for Moonrise.

Currently, I’m using a Menu link in the main nav bar on the home page, and I have the menu arranged into four sub-groups (Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Spirits) and then a variety of sub-sub groups under those (appetizers, entrees, etc).

When clicked, the sub-group pages (for example, Lunch) opens a page where the Lunch items are shown, but they are arranged alphabetically instead of within the sub-sub groups. Also, it only shows 3-4 items per page with previous/next arrows.

Is there a way to A. Have the sub-sub groups arranged properly within the subgroup (for example – the Lunch page shows Salads first, then Sides, then Classic Entrees, then Entrees), and B. Have all items within a sub-group show on the same page instead of only 3-4 at a time?

Thanks in advance for your advice. We love your themes!

Bill Robbins

David,

I hope all is well with you. You can set the order the items. What I would suggest doing is use the Simple Page Ordering plugin. It lets you drag and drop pages, posts or items like our food and staff to set the order. It even does it right from the listing screen too.

There’s also one item you’ll need to change in the theme to make the order affect the individual menu group pages. Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose queries.php and look for this spot:

if ( is_post_type_archive( 'food' ) ) {
      	        // displays in post order
      	        $query->set( 'order', 'ASC' );
      	        $query->set( 'orderby', 'menu_order' );
      	        return;
      	    }

3. Right above that paste this:

if ( is_tax( 'menu-group' ) ) {
      	        // displays in post order
      	        $query->set( 'order', 'ASC' );
      	        $query->set( 'orderby', 'menu_order' );
      	        return;
      	    }

4. Save your changes.

That should let you drag and drop your items to arrange them. If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

David Esrati
    Participant

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply.

Here is how it’s set up currently.

– I have a Menu Group titled “Lunch”, with “Salads”, “Sides”, “Entrees”, and “Classic Entrees” as children of the Parent group “Lunch”. They are all nested properly in the Menu Groups page.
    – I have a page titled Lunch Menu.
    – The page has [menu group=”lunch”] in the content area.
    – When the page is accessed, it shows all items tagged in the Menu Group “Lunch”.

The problem is that the specific menu items within “Lunch” are not arranged in the four Menu subgroups. They’re just all lumped together under LUNCH MENU.

For example – It looks like this:

LUNCH MENU
    Caesar
    Cabernet Steak Salad
    Fried Spinach
    French Fries
    Italian Grilled Cheese
    Ahi Tuna Sliders
    Turkey Reuben
    Linguine and Red Sauce

And I’d like it to look like this:

LUNCH MENU
    Salads
      Caesar
      Cabernet Steak Salad
    Sides
      Fried Spinach
      French Fries
    Entrees
      Italian Grilled Cheese
      Ahi Tuna Sliders
    Classic Entrees
      Turkey Reuben
      Linguine and Red Sauce

Any ideas? Thanks again.

Bill Robbins

David,

You can break the lists out like that. Instead of using one menu shortcode for lunch, you’ll need to use one for each of those sections under lunch: salads, sides, entrees and classic entrees.

Since the shortcode just outputs a simple list, that would be the best way to set it up.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

David Esrati
    Participant

I should have thought of that. Why didn’t I think of that?

Thanks, Bill. It’s looking great.

Bill Robbins

Always glad to help. When you get it wrapped up, send over a link. I always love to see what people cook up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Menu Pages’ is closed to new replies.