Is it possible to use a different slider on epic home page?

Support Area Forums Epic Is it possible to use a different slider on epic home page?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Bill,
    I am wondering if I can switch out your slider for a different slider on the home page? The slider that I would like to use is Smart Slider 2 version 2.2.1.

I want to maintain the convenient customizing you have built into the home page, but use this other slider.

Also, how can I change the padding around the widgets on the home page? I would like the outside widgets to line up with the outside edges of the navigation bar.

Thank you for your advice,

Steve

Bill Robbins

Hello Steve,

Fantastic question. You can edit the theme to take out the built in slider. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page-home.php
    3. Find this section:
      		<?php if(of_get_option('front_page') == 'slideshow') { 

get_template_part( 'layouts/home-slideshow' ); 

} elseif(of_get_option('front_page') == 'sidebar') { 

get_template_part( 'layouts/home-sidebar' ); 

} elseif(of_get_option('front_page') == 'static') {

get_template_part( 'layouts/home-static' ); 

} ?>

and delete it.

4. Then you’ll need to add in the code for the new slider. There is a page in their documentation at http://www.nextendweb.com/wiki/smart-slider-documentation/installation-wordpress/ that shows how to get started. You’ll ultimately need to add a variation of this:

<?php echo do_shortcode('[smartslider2 slider="2"]'); ?>

where you replace the slider=”2″ with the ID of your slider.

5. Save your changes.

That should let the new slider appear for you. If you wanted to include this in a child theme, you would copy over the page-home.php file to the child theme and make the changes there. That way you’ll be able to update Epic in the future without running into trouble.

For the home page widgets, just to make sure I understand, you’re wanting to have the left and right widgets flush with the edges of the navigation bar. Basically taking out the left and right hand margins from the widget area. If that’s what you’re shooting for, just let me know. If you can send over the URL to your site so I can make sure it works well with the widgets you’re using.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Is it possible to use a different slider on epic home page?’ is closed to new replies.