How To Create A "Blog" Page

Support Area Forums Authentic How To Create A "Blog" Page

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Chris Langille
    Participant

How do I go about adding a “Blog” page to my navigation menu that will display my recent posts?

I checked the page templates and as you know this template doesn’t exist, so perhaps I need to manually add it via code?

If so, could you kindly tell me how I could do that?

Bill Robbins

Good question. The easiest way to do that is to create a master category for your blog (you can call it anything you’d like to). Then add the posts you’d like to be part of your blog to that category. Lastly, add that category to your navigation (Appearance>Menu section). That will create a “page” for your blog.

You can assign multiple categories to a post, so you can still organize your blog with categories in addition to the master category if you’d like to.

Let me know if you need any help and enjoy your weekend,

Chris Langille
    Participant

Thanks Bill. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that

Bill Robbins

That’s what I’m here for:)

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Hello Bill:

I have a question about templates that come with the Foundation theme. From what I can see the theme comes with a Home template, a Full Width Page template, a Sample Page
    template, and Staff, Press and Sponsor Page templates. That’s correct, right, I’m not
    missing any templates?

Also, with the Full Width Page template, I notice that if you hover over it you can see
    “Third Level”, “Fourth Level”. Are the templates for these levels the same as the Full
    Width Page template?

Finally, is there an easy way to print out these templates so they appear EXACTLY as
    the do in the Demo? We’ve tried printing them out and some of the images aren’t
    coming out (e.g., with the Sample Page template, the “Page Sidebar”, “Donate Here”,
    and navigation/menu images don’t print out).

Thanks a million for your help! And thanks for your quick response to my last question from a few days back!

Bill Robbins

Let me see if I can clear things up a bit. The theme comes with actual page templates (ones that can be selected by creating a page and then choosing a template in the page attributes section).

1. Default page template — just a normal page with a sidebar
    2. Staff Page — displays all staff regardless of staff group
    3. Site Map — displays the content of the site by page, and archive
    4. Full Width — a page with no sidebar and the content area spanning the entire width
    5. Blog — displays posts from all categories

It also has some other layouts that can be used in situations other than actual WordPress pages.

1. Press category — this displays an archive of posts assigned to a category called press (it’s for press releases)
    2. Sponsor Group — this displays all sponsors that have been added to a group. The group can then be added directly to the navigation creating an archive of them.
    3. Staff Group — this displays all staff members that have been added to a particular group. The group can be added directly to the navigation creating an archive of them.
    4. Single Staff, Sponsor, or Press — these files will display when viewing an individual staff member, press release or sponsor.

The “levels” from the demo are just filler to show how the drop down menus work with multiple levels in them.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response! Just one last question:

Is there an easy way to PRINT OUT these templates so they appear EXACTLY as
    the do in the Demo? We’ve tried printing them out and some of the images aren’t
    coming out (e.g., with the Sample Page template, the “Page Sidebar”, “Donate Here”,
    and navigation/menu images don’t print out).

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

The default print styles that come with the browsers hide background images and colors by default. The donation bar is actually created with a couple of background images and a few select background colors.

I believe Firefox has an option to print out background colors and images. You could give that a try.

Basically the browser is going to try to simplify the layout and design to make it easy to read a printed page vs. trying to make the copy look exactly as it does on screen.

If you need an exact copy, you’d do better taking a screenshot of the site and then printing that image out. I use two apps on my Mac for that, one called Little Snapper and another called Skitch.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘How To Create A "Blog" Page’ is closed to new replies.