Formatting gone to pot

Support Area Forums Authentic Formatting gone to pot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Chris Bradley-James
    Participant

Hi

Our work in progress site has been working great…. but then suddenly all the formatting has gone weird.

Our site is at http://www.newhope-cc.net.

We did not work on it for a few months, except updating the google calendar as we were working on the facility signage etc.

Can you advise what is wrong or whether we have done something stupid?

Thanks

Chris

Bill Robbins

Chris,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like your site has been hacked. There is an iframe that is being inserted above your content and that’s actually what’s causing the layout trouble.

Sometimes hackers will hide their malicious code inside a plugin. Because the “Hello Dolly” and “Akismet” plugins are shipped with every WordPress installation, they are common places to hide code.

You might try disabling all your plugins and see if that fixes the issue. Hopefully it will as that’s the easiest fix. If it doesn’t then it’s possible it’s been added to the theme. You can see that by going to the appearance section and selecting edit to open up the theme editor. From the list of files on your right, choose header.php. Make sure it starts off like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>

If there is anything above that, delete it and save your changes. If you don’t see anything there, then look inside the file named functions.php. It’s possible to place the malicious code there too.

The last option would be for it to be inside your database. I really suggest trying out a plugin called Backup Buddy for that. It allows for easy backups of your site and also has a malware scanner built in.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Chris Bradley-James
    Participant

Great – found this nasty little bleeper in the index.php file:-

Thanks for the help – wouldn’t have know where to look without it!

Chris

Bill Robbins

I’m glad you found it. There are lots of places a hacker can hide, but at least it wasn’t in your database.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Formatting gone to pot’ is closed to new replies.