Food Menu customization with photos

Support Area Forums Bottega Food Menu customization with photos

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Jessica Goulding
    Participant

Hi Bill,

First off wanted to say I really enjoyed working with your theme, I love the widgets for the home page and the menu aspects. My client will really enjoy this.

I have a question though. For the Menu items, I have a fairly large menu I’ve uploaded and therefore have utilized the menu groups for organization (appetizers, dinners, salads, wine, beer, etc). Since I don’t have photos of every single food item, but I do for the different food groups; I wanted to be able to highlight that at the top.

I had added photos to a few of the menu items to highlight them, but I think it would look better with a larger photo within the “Notes” section for the Menu groups. when I entered in html for this, it appears to dissipate this and ignore anything beyond plain text.

My question… is this possible within your setup? I’d really like to utilize the menu setup you have but am wondering if it’s better for me to just build a page from scratch for each group.

Other side question.. the food thumbnails (featured image) per food item, is there a way to make that link to a larger image? I feel like that would be a great improvement as well so people can see a nice image of the food items.

Thanks so much for your help!

Bill Robbins

Jessica,

Thank you for your business first of all and great question. The options framework is set to strip tags like that in text areas, but you can change that behavior. Here’s how.

1. Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor (or use the offline editor of your choice).
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose options-sanitize.php
    3. Look for this spot (line 11):

$output = wp_kses( $input, $allowedtags);

4. Replace that line with this:

//$output = wp_kses( $input, $allowedtags);

5. Save your changes.

That should remove the filter from your descriptions so that you can enter html into the descriptions and have them save for you. If you run into any trouble, let me know.

Thanks again and have a fantastic weekend,
    Bill

sirlancy
    Participant

Hi Bill,

You made a great theme easy work whit it.

I have a same question then Jessica:

“Other side question.. the food thumbnails (featured image) per food item, is there a way to make that link to a larger image? I feel like that would be a great improvement as well so people can see a nice image of the food items.”

so its possible?

ps: ur answer solved the first question

Thx

Laszlo

Bill Robbins

Laszlo,

Thank you for your business first of all. I think I’ll add in optional food thumbnails with the next update to the theme. Until then here’s how you can add them to your site. It’ll take just a bit of editing.

1. Go to the Appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose style.css. Scroll down to the very bottom and paste this:

li.item,
      li.item .item-meta {
      	overflow: hidden;
      }

ul.item-list img.wp-post-image {
      	float: left;
      	margin-right: 20px;
      }

3. Save your changes.

4. Next select taxonomy-menu-group.php and look for this section:

<li class="item">
      				<h4><?php the_title(); ?></h4>
      				<?php if(get_post_meta($post->ID, "_price", $single = true) != ""){ ?><p class="price"><?php echo get_post_meta($post->ID, "_price", TRUE); ?></p><?php } ?>

<div class="clear">	
      				<?php the_excerpt(); ?>

</li>	

and replace it with this:

5. Save your changes.

That will add a thumbnail to each menu item. You can control the size of the thumbnail by going to the Settings section of your WordPress control panel and selecting Media. There you can set a default size for your thumbnails. That will only affect new image uploads. If you’d like to change the size of some images that you’ve already uploaded, you’ll need to use a plugin called Regenerate Thumbnails to change the sizes.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

sirlancy
    Participant

Bill,

I dont have a taxonomy-menu-group.php file only taxonomy-menu_group.php and its dosent have that section.

My taxonomy-menu_group.php looks like:

So if its working i can set a default size for your thumbnails and when i click on it, it will be bigger for example 800×800 px.

Thx help

Laszlo

sirlancy
    Participant

Hi,

THX to u, i made it.

Just replace:

‘shadow menu-thumbnail’) ); ?>

to

http://muveszkavehaz.hu/menu/etelek/

http://muveszkavehaz.hu/ajanlatunk/

Laszlo

Bill Robbins

Laszlo,

My apologies; I shouldn’t answer support when I’m not fully awake. I gave you an answer for the Foxy theme instead of Bottega. But you are correct in the change that you need to make. Foxy doesn’t come with support for menu item thumbnails so we had to insert that first.

Thank you for your business and let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Food Menu customization with photos’ is closed to new replies.