featured post images

Support Area Forums Foundation featured post images

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    ancd
    Participant

Hello Bill,

The thumbnail size is set at 75 x 75px under the dashboard settings but the featured post images are still larger. The images become distorted when they are cropped before posting. I think I have seen the php file before where you defined the featured image sizes. I would like to make the featured post smaller globally or at least set min and/or max size.

Thanks,
    Dare

Bill Robbins

Hello Dare,

Good question. The thumbnail size that’s set in the media settings will control any galleries that you insert into a page or post. It’ll set the size of those thumbnail images.

The featured images outside of that are set in the images.php file. You’re welcome to edit them, though it adversely affect the layout of the site.

If you’d like to change the ones that are used with blog posts, then you’ll want to edit this one:

add_image_size('single', 960, 640, true);

The 960 is the width and the 640 is the height. Any changes you make there will only affect new image uploads. To change any images you’ve already uploaded you’ll need to use the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know,
    Bill

ancd
    Participant

It looks like my post yesterday did not appear. I wrote that I downloaded the plugin but the featured post images are still larger than expected. Perhaps I am not sure how to use the plugin.

Bill Robbins

Dare,

We moved web servers last night, so the post may have been dropped in the transition. Sorry about that.

The plugin adds a new menu item under the tools menu. You’ll need to go there and run the regenerate thumbnails function to see the changes.

Let me know if you get stuck,
    Bill

ancd
    Participant

Thanks Bill. I did ran it yesterday to generate thumbnails but no effect on the featured post images.

Bill Robbins

Gotcha. The plugin will create new images based on the sizes that are specified by the theme, other plugins and the Media settings. So most likely that means that the “single” size didn’t change enough to affect the front end of the site. You may need to further change that size in the images.php file and run the plugin again.

ancd
    Participant

I changed add_image_size(‘home-thumbnail’, 300, 200, true); to

add_image_size(‘home-thumbnail’, 150, 100, true); and it works.

Thanks.

Bill Robbins

Fantastic. You can change the others there in the same way. I would recommend not changing the slideshow size, but most of the other ones should be editable like that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘featured post images’ is closed to new replies.