Extra menu area

Support Area Forums Foundation Extra menu area

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Heidi
    Participant

Hi,
    Is it possible to add an extra navigation menu that will appear on each page? I’m looking to create a ‘utility’ menu above my header that will be smallish and unassuming but everpresent. My website is found at http://www.new.uwkcblog.org/
    Thanks!
    Heidi

Bill Robbins

Heidi,

That’s a fantastic idea. You can set that up too without too much fuss either. I noticed that you’re using a child theme which is a great way to customize an existing theme. Here’s how to add the menu to your child theme.

First copy the header.php file from the original Foundation theme to your child theme. Then edit the header.php file and look for this line:

<div id="header" class="clearfix">

Right below that add in this:

and save your changes. Next create a functions.php file in your child theme if you don’t already have one there. If you’re starting out new, make sure to open it with a

or the theme will break. Someplace after the opening tag, create a new line and place this there:

and save your changes. Lastly edit the child theme’s style.css file and add this to it:

#custom-top-menu {
    	position: absolute;
    	top: 5px;
    	right: 0;
    }

#custom-top-menu ul {
    	margin: 0;
    	list-style-type: none;
    }

#custom-top-menu li {
    	float: left;
    	margin-left: 10px;
    }

and save your changes.

That should add in a new menu location to your header and add just a bit of styling to set it up.

If you run into any questions or trouble, let me know.

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Extra menu area’ is closed to new replies.