Error uploading media

Support Area Forums Foundation Error uploading media

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Gavin Brown
    Participant

I just migrated a site from a stock website builder (Insurance Website Builder, to be specific) over to WordPress and installed the Foundation Theme.

I’ve had issue upon issue just getting the site wrested from IWB, so the following may be a residual problem…

The first thing I tried after installing foundation was to add a header logo. I uploaded a .png and got this message:

“Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2013/04. Is its parent directory writable by the server?”

I’m just a few steps beyond a newb, so any insight is much appreciated!

Gavin Brown

Bill Robbins

Gavin,

Thank you for your business first of all. Great question too. When WordPress first uploads a file, it creates a folder on your server to store them in. Sometimes the server has its file permissions set so that WordPress can’t do that. That sounds like what’s happening here.

What you’ll want to do is use the file browser that’s part of your web host’s control panel or a FTP program to browse to the wp-content/uploads folder on your server. You’ll want to change the permissions on it to 755. If you don’t see an uploads folder, then change the permissions on wp-content to 755.

That should let WordPress create the folder for you now. If you have any trouble doing that, you might ask your web host for help since they should know their system pretty well.

If I can assist, just let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Gavin Brown
    Participant

Thanks Bill!

That should’ve been obvious to me. Couldn’t do it chmod, but got it to work through the host file manager. Thanks again for the timely response.

Bill Robbins

Always glad to help. If you need anything else, let me know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Error uploading media’ is closed to new replies.