creating new member page template

Support Area Forums Forward creating new member page template

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question: https://members.broken-promises.org
  • Author
    HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

I’d like to create a unique page template for members so I can easily manage an alternative top header and right hand side column using existing methodologies. I have a number of subdomains I’d like to do this to.

I think all I have to do is to copy an existing template.php with an alternate name and it would show up in the options for use. But, nothing can be that simple.

I know there is a plugin that allows something like this. But, since I sign in as admin not a group member, it appears not to work for me. And, I assume it is more load for the server than the existing page template methodology. It’s probably better for SEO as well.

Thanks

Rick

Bill Robbins

Hi Rick,

There are different ways you could go about this. Make all these changes in a child theme.

One way is to duplicate the page.php file and use it as the base for a new page template. Also duplicate the header.php file. WordPress’ get_header() function can take parameters that will let you load a separate header file. It works this way.

get_header() loads the default header.php file, but get_header( ‘member’ ) loads the header-member.php file.

You could use the new page template to load up a separate header file. The get_sidebar() function works the same way as does get_footer() if you’d like to change those.

WordPress also has lots of conditional tags that you can use to modify a page based on all manner of parameters. You can read about them in the Codex at https://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags

Have a great week,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘creating new member page template’ is closed to new replies.