Child Theme with foundation

Support Area Forums Foundation Child Theme with foundation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://graycattest.com/angela/wordpress/
  • Author
    Barbara Warnke
    Participant

I installed an empty child theme and my main nav bar has disappeared. i haven’t done a functions.php file. the tutorial i was using didn’t mention it, but i did see it mentioned in some other instructions.

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Barbara,

WordPress ties navigation menu assignments to themes. So when you activate a new theme, the navigation menu is still in your backend, it just isn’t assigned to a location in the current theme.

Since a child theme is technically a new theme from WordPress’ point of view, you’ll need to assign your navigation menu to the theme’s menu location.

You’re welcome to create a functions.php file for your child theme. It’s totally optional. You would generally do that if you need to add php “functions” to your site. If you’re only modifying CSS and/or template files (page.php, single.php — the files that directly make up the pages on your site) then you don’t have to create a functions.php file in the child theme.

Have a great weekend and let me know if you have any questions,
    Bill

Barbara Warnke
    Participant

how do i assign the navigation menu to the theme’s menu location?

Bill Robbins

Go to Appearance in your WordPress dashboard and click on Menus. At the top there will be a tab labeled Manage Locations. Click on that and use the drop-down menus there to assign your navigation menus. Then save your changes once you’re finished.

Barbara Warnke
    Participant

nevermind. my friend and i figured it out.

Bill Robbins

Glad you found it. Let me know if you need anything else.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Child Theme with foundation’ is closed to new replies.