Beginner's Guide / Getting Started

Support Area Forums Foundation Beginner's Guide / Getting Started

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Andy Merry
    Participant

I paid for and downloaded the Foundation theme yesterday and like some others I’ve seen on this forum, can’t find (either in the forum or in the files) any documentation to get me started. I guess we all expect the theme to look a bit like the demo when we first switch to it, but of course we have to upload Slides and add colours. However, it isn’t obvious where to start!
    I’ve added a custom logo and header bar at the top (not happy with either yet but it’ll do on the test site for now) and worked out how to add my first couple of slides – http://www.jcdragonshearteurope.co.uk
    But:
    >Setting increased time delays in the Slideshows has zero effect
    >Setting the colours for the Donation bar have done nothing so far, but I think I have to do this in Appearance>Widgets as well?
    >Same problem with Call to Action section
    >Can’t see yet how to add text (body content) section to Home Page
    I just think that a simple guide video on Youtube or some Getting Started documentation telling newbs like me where to find the page elements seen on the demo would help.

Andy Merry
    Participant

Blank? I spent ages typing this out. Using Google Chrome. Fortunately I saved the text:

I paid for and downloaded the Foundation theme yesterday and like some others I’ve seen on this forum, can’t find (either in the forum or in the files) any documentation to get me started. I guess we all expect the theme to look a bit like the demo when we first switch to it, but of course we have to upload Slides and add colours. However, it isn’t obvious where to start!
    I’ve added a custom logo and header bar at the top (not happy with either yet but it’ll do on the test site for now) and worked out how to add my first couple of slides – http://www.jcdragonshearteurope.co.uk
    But:
    >Setting increased time delays in the Slideshows has zero effect
    >Setting the colours for the Donation bar have done nothing so far, but I think I have to do this in Appearance>Widgets as well?
    >Same problem with Call to Action section
    >Can’t see yet how to add text (body content) section to Home Page
    I just think that a simple guide video on Youtube or some Getting Started documentation telling newbs like me where to find the page elements seen on the demo would help.

Bill Robbins

Andy,

Sorry for the trouble with getting started. Thank you for sending over the link. It looks like you’re running the NextGen Gallery plugin. Photocrati is having trouble with their plugin at the moment and I would recommend not using it until they get it straightened out. It’s causing javascript issues by reordering the loading of other plugin’s and the theme’s scripts. That will keep the slideshow and other javascript items in the theme from working.

If you have to use that plugin, roll back to the last version before 2.0 was released.

The home page content is made up entirely of widgets. To add content to the home page template, you’ll want to go to the Appearance section and select Widgets. You can add your widgets there. If you need to add text, you can use a text widget. If you’d like a more robust text widget, you might try the Black Studio TinyMCE Widget. It uses the same editor from the page/post screens.

You can find a link to the Foundation theme documentation in the right hand column of this site in the Theme Instructions section. You can also get there directly at https://support.organizedthemes.com/foundation/

I did not see where the donation widget or action widget were in use. I’ll be glad to take a look at those when you have them active.

Also for the slideshow, you’ll want to size the images to be 760 pixels wide by 506 pixels tall or larger. WordPress will not scale images up, so if they are smaller than that, there will be empty space in the slideshow.

Our membership plugin is fighting with the bbPress forum plugin. At the moment, I’m the only one able to see the top post in any topic. They are still there and I can reply to them, so if you don’t see them, I do and can still help. Wishlist Member is working on a fix for us, but they haven’t released a patch yet.

Let me know about the widgets,
    Bill

Andy Merry
    Participant

Thanks for your help Bill – I am sorry for not seeing the page at https://support.organizedthemes.com/foundation/ and it does help me with most of my queries.
    I am adding all of the Home page Widgets so that I can try to have a presentation similar to the Demo version, but I am having a little bit of difficulty organising them as neatly as yours (my Featured Video widget for example is too close (no padding) to the Latest News).
    I understand about the NextGen issue and will re-size my slides to 760 pixels wide by 506 pixels tall, the ones there at the moment are just to get me started.
    My customer will want to change some of the colours but I should be able to manage that in due course. In the meantime I have sent you an Administrator login and I will ask for specific help in one go by email as I need it if that’s ok. Or I can do that here if you prefer it to be a forum conversation.

Bill Robbins

Andy,

I’m sorry I made it easy to miss. I’m working on a “welcome screen” for when you first activate the theme to hopefully better direct and inform people.

For your home page, the layout trouble is actually caused by the Next Generation Gallery plugin. The home page uses a bit of javascript called Masonry to stack the widgets and position them neatly. With the plugin affecting your scripts, those widgets will be placed correctly. Once the plugin is disabled, they should line up as expected.

As you have other questions, just let me know.

Have a great day,
    Bill

Andy Merry
    Participant

Hmm, ok I might remove the picture galleries that are all in Archive posts. Not ideal, but I guess that they could somehow be added back using a different gallery plugin if I can organise the photo files.
    I’ve Deactivated NextGen Gallery Plugin just now and you’re right the spacing of the Home Page Widgets is now as it should be – but why does the hover colour for the top ‘Latest News’ post not work (should be black like the others). I’m referring to this post:
    SUCCESSFUL JUDO TOURNAMENT SEASON AT DE KORTE SPORT AND HEALTH INSTITUTE
    On Sunday 16 June, the last Judo tournament of the … [Read More…]
    …neither the title text nor the ‘Read More’ text changes colour when mouse hovered over so there is something not quite right there.
    Thanks,
    Andy

Bill Robbins

Andy,

Does the built-in WordPress gallery not do what you’re trying to accomplish? For most users its thumbnail galleries work well. The theme has a built-in lightbox that will open the images up in a pop-up too.

It doesn’t look like a hover color is set for your links. Try adding that and you should be able to see a different color on hover.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Beginner's Guide / Getting Started’ is closed to new replies.