Add blog page to main menu

Support Area Forums Foundation Add blog page to main menu

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question: http://jwattfoundation.org/
  • Author
    erick howard
    Participant

I am trying to add my blog page (posts) tab to my main menu. When I go to the menu page, it only allows me to add individual posts to the menu structure. Not the whole posts group with show all of the posts (blog) when clicked on. How can I add this to my menu?
    Thanks

Bill Robbins

Hi Erick,

What you’ll want to do first is create a page for your blog posts and publish it. Then go to the Settings section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Reading. At the top here, you’ve selected to have a static page as your front page. You’ll find a drop down menu for choosing your “posts page” which is your blog page. Select the page you just published and save your changes.

Now you can add that page to your navigation menu and you’re visitors will be able to access your blog archive.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Take care,
    Bill

erick howard
    Participant

Thanks Bill. One more small issue. When I created the new page for the blogs, when I go to it, there are no pics, just the summary of the blog. How can I change this to include a pic with the summary?
    Thanks

Bill Robbins

Glad to hear you were able to add the blog page. If you set a feature image for a post and set the post to use the image format, that image will be displayed above the post title.

The other option is to change the blog from showing an excerpt to showing the full content. You can change that by going to the theme options page and clicking on the general tab. There is a drop down there to choose what the blog page displays. If you select the content option it’ll show all of the content of each post including the images.

Take care,
    Bill

erick howard
    Participant

Hey Bill,
    I cant quite get this to work. If you look at my blog page –

http://jwattfoundation.org/?page_id=2046

Some of the pics show in the preview and others don’t. I have them set with a featured image and format as gallery. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Bill Robbins

To use the featured image, make sure to set the format to image. If it’s set to gallery, it’ll show a slideshow of the images that were uploaded while editing that page.

To show a video there, make sure to use the embed code for the video and not just the URL. That feature was added before the ability to fetch videos by URL was part of the WordPress core.

erick howard
    Participant

This works! Thank you.
    Lastly, How do I get rid of the side bar and make the blog page a full width page?
    Thanks

Bill Robbins

Glad that did the trick. You can make the blog page full width by adding this to the Custom CSS box at the bottom of the styling tab in the theme options page:

.blog #content {
    	width: 100%;
    }

.blog #sidebar {
    	display: none;
    }

See if that doesn’t do the trick for you.

erick howard
    Participant

Thanks for you time and assistance. Everything works perfectly now.
    Thanks

Bill Robbins

Fantastic Erick. Have a wonderful week 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Add blog page to main menu’ is closed to new replies.