Random Posts Widget

Support Area Forums Agency Random Posts Widget

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Erdem Senocak
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I would like to ask you if you were thinking of an Agency Theme Random Posts Widget in the updated version.

I uploaded some plugins. They worked but I am not happy with the design. Agency Theme’s featured post and featured video looks quite well. Is there sth. I can do to make the widgets that I uploaded look the same way or do i have to wait for the updated Agency Theme version?

Best
    Erdem

Bill Robbins

You can edit the widget that comes with the theme to display a random post from the selected category. Here’s what you’ll need to do:

1. Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose widget-featured-post.php and look for this spot:

showposts=1&cat=” . $instance[“cat”]

and replace it with this:

showposts=1& orderby =rand&cat=” . $instance[“cat”]

3. Save your changes

That should cause a random post from the selected category to be displayed in the widget.

Hope that helps out.

Erdem Senocak
    Participant

thanks bill,

but something unexpected happened. maybe i did sth wrong. i wrote an e-mail to support@organizedthemes.com about it.

best
    erdem

Erdem Senocak
    Participant

bill,

it seems that it does not work. maybe i made a mistake with space, comma or sth else.

but now i have an extra problem. you know i was editing “widget-featured-post.php” and the site collapsed. then i reached my ftp folder and cut that file and pasted to my desktop. then the site started to work again. now i am trying to restore the original”widget-featured-post.php” file but although i think i do the right corrections and upload it to my ftp folder; the site collapses again till i delete the “widget-featured-post.php” file.

could you please send me the original php file to my e-mail? senocake@gmail.com. maybe after then i can try again for the random posts widget.

thanks.

Erdem Senocak
    Participant

i find the original file from the agency theme folder which i kept in my hard drive. (i should have thought that before!) i uploaded the original file then the site worked properly with the “widget-featured-post.php” file.

then i tried again your suggestion of code change thinking that i had made a mistake before BUT and it made the site collapse again.

briefly, i mean changing the codes in the widget-featured-post.php file causes the site to collapse.

could you please check it? do u tinhk its sth about my hosting company?

thanks.

Bill Robbins

I emailed you a copy of the complete widget set to display a random post. If you have trouble let me know.

Erdem Senocak
    Participant

thx bill, now it works! now i have a last question. is there any chance that i can have both have a featured post widget (last post) and another widget that is featuring random posts?

Bill Robbins

Here’s what you’ll need to do. Restore the original version of the featured post widget that came with the theme.

For the random version, I changed the function name and turned it into a plugin. You can download it from https://support.organizedthemes.com/samples/organized-themes-random-post-widget.zip

Just install and activate it and you should have a additional widget for random posts now.

Erdem Senocak
    Participant

thank you very much bill. it works. it very much helps to design my website as i wanted.

thank you again for being so helpful. i hope i did not bother you so much.

erdem

Bill Robbins

I’m glad to hear it worked for you. Always glad to help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Random Posts Widget’ is closed to new replies.