WPML Compatibility

Support Area Forums Foundation WPML Compatibility

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Edward Bialashewski
    Participant

Hi Bill,

We have your foundation theme installed on our site. Can you tell me if it is compatible with the WPML language plug-in? Thanks.

Bill Robbins

I believe it is, though I haven’t tried it before. If you run into any trouble, let me know.

Edward Bialashewski
    Participant

Hi Bill,

The WPML plugin is asking for a languages folder and .mo files. I cannot locate them in any of the folders. I have the Yoko theme which does have those files. Is it possible to use those files within the Foundation theme? Thanks.

Bill Robbins

Edward,

I just uploaded a version of the theme where I’ve added a .po file you can use to create a .mo file. The .mo file is the actual translation into a specific language. I’m not personally qualified to translate the theme’s text into Italian, but you can do that.

There is also an option in WPML that will let you translate any text strings in the theme into Italian yourself. That would be words and phrases like “filed under,” “category,” and so forth.

I’m not that experienced with translating sites, but if I can help, let me know.

Edward Bialashewski
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Do I just download the language folder and upload it to the foundation theme folder?

Bill Robbins

I’d suggest updating the complete theme. I updated some of the text strings that will be translated so you’ll get best results using the complete theme.

If you have any trouble, let me know.

Edward Bialashewski
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I have never upgraded a wordpress site. Do you have a tutorial anywhere on the site? Do you know of a good one off site? Thanks.

Bill Robbins

There are two options you have on how to do this.

(1) You can unarchive the ZIP file you downloaded and change the name of the folder from “foundation” to something like “foundation-update.” You can use any name as long as it contains no spaces. Then zip up the renamed folder and install it as a new theme.

If I’m using this method, I typically open up the theme options page before I install the new theme. Then I open up a new tab and install the theme in the new tab. Then it’s a simple matter to copy over the settings from one tab to the other.

(2) The second option is to use a FTP program to open up the files for your WordPress installation on your server. You can find out how to access your site via FTP from your web host. If you need a FTP program, Filezilla is a good free one for PC’s and Cyberduck is a good free one for Macs.

Once you have your WordPress installation visible in the FTP program, browse to the wp-content/themes/foundation directory. Now replace the files in the foundation theme folder with the ones from the zip file you downloaded.

Either way will work. The first one is probably the easiest. If you run into trouble, just let me know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘WPML Compatibility’ is closed to new replies.