Work-around for 10MB Podcast File Limit?

Support Area Forums Authentic Work-around for 10MB Podcast File Limit?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Ben Bronson
    Participant

I’m curious if there is a simple way around the 10MB limit for media in WordPress. As I edit and upload podcasts I have to shoot for the poorest quality possible to keep it under 10MB. Most of the podcasts I subscribe to in iTunes are in the 20-30MB range. I’d like to present audio with a little better quality.

Thanks for any help you could offer!

Bill Robbins

Ben,

Great question. The maximum file upload size inside of WordPress is actually set by your web host. Some hosts set the limit as low as 2 mb, other shoot for 20.

I’d start by asking your web host if they will increase that for you. Some have things set so it can’t be changed, but others will increase it once you ask. That’s the easiest solution.

The other option is to use a FTP program to upload the file to your site. WordPress stores uploaded files in a folder called wp-content/uploads/ where you could upload your podcast files. You could create a folder inside it called podcasts to keep them organized.

By uploading the files with a FTP program, you can skip the maximum upload file size. All you’ll need to do is enter the URL to the podcast file into the blank. The URL would follow this format:

[audio src="https://www.yoursite.com/wp-content/uploads/podcast/yourfile.mp3" /]

You’d just replace the http://www.yoursite.com with your site’s address and the yourfile.mp3 with the name of your file.

If you go the FTP way, remember that you can’t have any spaces in your file name in order for it to work.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Ben Bronson
    Participant

Thanks Bill. I was curious if I could get around it through FTP, and from what you say it sounds like I should be able to. I’ll have another podcast to upload on Saturday, so I’ll try it then to see how/if it works.

Thanks again for your help! I really enjoy working with the template you created, and the support you give is incredible. You’re enabling more ministry to happen through your work and support.

Bill Robbins

Ben,

Thanks for the kind words. If you need any help, just let me know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Work-around for 10MB Podcast File Limit?’ is closed to new replies.