WooCommerce in Kerygma

Support Area Forums Kerygma WooCommerce in Kerygma

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.garybrothersministries.com/
  • Author
    Mary King
    Participant

Hello:

It’s been awhile since I asked about this, but trying to get back to setting up a way to sell product in Kerygma Theme. Now there are all kinds of messages in Dashboard regarding WooCommerce incompatibility with Kerygma. Here’s my dilema:
    1. Using WooCommerce, last year I set up Simplify Commerce account; followed instructions on integration guide at https://docs.woothemes.com/document/third-party-custom-theme-compatibility/
    2. Because I didn’t have a child theme, I lost the duplicate page.php (WooCommerce.php)
    3. Is it too late to create child theme? Really love the way site looks/really love Kerygma. too much time invested in the site to risk having to rebuild. Does creating child theme make you start over?
    (Sorry, my WP skills are ever-growing, but always challenged)
    4. Any alternate suggestions for selling a product on Kerygma? We have 2 books to sell. Would it be easier to just link to third party seller like Amazon?

Thank you in advance,
    Mary Pat King
    Cape First Church

Bill Robbins

Hi Mary,

Good questions. Let’s start with the warning message. Theme authors can place a tag in the theme that lets WooCommerce know that the theme has been created for it. The absence of that tag does not necessarily mean that the theme won’t work with WooCommerce. It’s more of a notice that the theme wasn’t specifically made for WooCommerce. The reverse is also true. The tag could be present and the theme awful with Woo. You can dismiss the notice and not worry about it. I’ll be back when the next update to the plugin happens.

Unless you’re running into trouble with something specific on the cart, shop or checkout pages you shouldn’t need to go through what’s listed at https://docs.woothemes.com/document/third-party-custom-theme-compatibility/ . The main issue I ran into with Kerygma and Woo was the way the shop page functions, the hero section won’t display. That’s because the shop page is really just a placeholder for the products archive and really a page. It’s like how the “posts” page (blog page) works.

You’re welcome to roll the changes you’ve made into a child theme. Having a child theme does make updating the original theme much easier than not having one. You can download the original Kerygma theme from our downloads section (https://support.organizedthemes.com/downloads/) and get the original page.php file from there if you need it.

I do like WooCommerce and I use it on my own site, but it’s not the only option out there. You could also take a look at iThemes Exchange (https://wordpress.org/plugins/ithemes-exchange/). It’s nowhere near as widely used as WooCommerce, but it’s a bit simpler and might be an option if you need a change.

If you run into any questions, especially with WooCommerce and Kerygma, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Mary King
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Happy to help out. I completely understand what you mean by projects getting put on the back burner. If you run into any questions now or in a few months, just let me know.

Bill

Mary King
    Participant

I did run into something this afternoon. Tried to install the new Simplify Commerce Plugin (it says the Simplify Commerce payment gateway is deprecated and to install the plugin – that Simplify Commerce will be removed from WooCommerce core in a future update). The plugin failed to install. What would be the reason and do I need this?

Thanks again,
    Mary Pat King

Bill Robbins

Are you using/going to use Simplify Commerce as your payment gateway? On my own sites, I’ve only used PayPal, PayPal Pro and occasionally Stripe. If you don’t plan on using Simplify Commerce as your payment gateway you can just leave it be.

Mary King
    Participant

We did register with Simplify Commerce last year when setting up WooCommerce. We have not officially launched the site, therefore no orders, yet. We may reconsider our options, but if we stay with Simplify, what might we expect when the changeover occurs?

Mary Pat King
    Cape First Church

Mary King
    Participant

Bill:

I think all may be good now. I just noticed our WooCommerce Simplify Commerce Gateway plugin was not activated, so I activated it and the warning about installing the plugin went away. We will see how this goes and I thank you for all your help today.

Regards,
    Mary Pat King

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Mary,

Glad you’re good to go. If you do have any questions or trouble, please feel free to ask.

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘WooCommerce in Kerygma’ is closed to new replies.