Widget menu spacing

Support Area Forums Selfie Widget menu spacing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question: http://edblomfield.com
  • Author
    Ed Blomfield
    Participant

Hi there,

Great theme guys! I almost have it looking how I want, however I have three small problems:

1. Within the pop-out menu, the gap between ‘clients’ and ‘about me’ is bigger. I’d like the gap to be the same as between the items further up the menu.

I am guessing this is something to do with the ‘About Me’ widget being separate to the rest of the menu. I’m new to Firebug/CSS and can’t find how to fix it. I did adjust the menu to get rid of the dividing lines, hopefully my code isn’t too much of a mess!

2. I would like to make the links in the ‘about me’ widget (“Whitelines Snowboard Magazine” and “RadShot.com”) to be a different colour to the main menu items. I would like these to be color #fe8b85, switching to #000000 on hover (same as within my posts. Trouble is it’s currently linked to the other menu items and I want ‘BLOG’, ‘CLIENTS’ etc. to remain black.

3. I haven’t filled out all my content yet, but I’ve noticed on the demo that if you try to exit a gallery by clicking outside the image, it hangs with a loading animation. You have to click the ‘x’ in the corner which isn’t necessarily the first thing people try. Is there any way to fix this, or perhaps issue an update?

That’s it for problems. I do have one more question tho:

4. What are ‘Portfolio Groups’? There’s no mention of them in the user instructions, don’t seem to need them to make the homeblocks/galleries function as in your demo but maybe I’m missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Bill Robbins

Hello Ed,

Thank you for your business first of all. I do appreciate it. Let’s try to get help with theses sticking points for you.

1. You can move the title of the About Me widget up. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Advanced tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

.widget_nav_menu {
      	margin-bottom: 0px;
      }

3. Update your settings.

2. It’s possible to change just those links. Just add this to your Custom CSS box too:

#pageslide .widget.about p a,
    #pageslide .widget.about p a:visited {
    	color: #fe8b85;
    }

#pageslide .widget.about p a:hover {
    	color: #000;
    }

That should set the links to be red while changing to black on hover for you.

3. I’m not certain if it’s possible to change the gallery so that a click anywhere will close it. For the next update, I do plan on greatly extending the time before the control bar disappears to help users who can’t find their way out once it’s gone. I’ll take a closer look at that in general too.

4. Good question. The portfolio groups are there if you’d like to essentially create additional home pages. I had a few customers who wanted to create ten or twenty layouts that copied the home page. We created the portfolio groups as a way you can do that.

They work basically like a category does for posts. You can add the home blocks that you’d like to display together to the same portfolio group. Then add the portfolio group to your navigation menu and you have a new “page” that displays just those home blocks.

It’s totally optional and generally not widely needed, but I wanted to add in some additional flexibility for the users who needed that.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Ed Blomfield
    Participant

Brilliant, thanks Bill!

I think I understand portfolio groups now – essentially I could (if I wanted) add a menu link to one of the home blocks, say if I wanted users to be able to navigate to ‘Portraits’ without scrolling down? Anyhoo, doubt I’ll need it but nice to know.

Look forward to checking out the next update. How often are they released?

Best,

Ed

Ed Blomfield
    Participant

One more random question – I know it’s personal choice on load times etc. but any advice on image dimensions/file size to use for the hero images? The ones on your demo look great.

Bill Robbins

Good questions. I update the themes when there’s a new feature that makes sense to add or when there’s a bug to fix. It varies a bit.

For the hero images, I’d shoot to have them be 2000 pixels wide by 1500 pixels tall and 250kb or so file size. That usually gives a good balance of quality and speed.

Your site looks great by the way. Would you be open to including it in our showcase of sites?

Have a great weekend and let me know if you need anything else.

Ed Blomfield
    Participant

Thanks Bill. Happy for you to add the site to your showcase, will hit you back when the content is all filled out.

Bill Robbins

Thanks Ed 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Widget menu spacing’ is closed to new replies.