Widget CSS

Support Area Forums Forward Widget CSS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://swedishamericanmuseum.org/2.0
  • Author
    Allison Deerr
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Today I added some CSS into style.css to customize a hear I added. I must have accidentally change the code for the widgets because the padding and margins seem all messed up. Can you take a look at the page and tell me if you know where the problem might be? You can see it on all the sidebar widgets throughout the site as well as the widgets at the bottom of the home page.

Thank you.

Bill Robbins

Looks like there is a stray } in the widget section of the style.css file. Try taking that out and see if it helps.

It’s always a good idea to make changes to the theme in a child theme instead of the parent theme. When I release an update to Forward, the changes to the parent will have to be made again if you choose to update in the future. That’s not to say that changes in a child theme might not have to be revisited when updating, but it makes it quite a bit easier and cleaner.

You can copy any styles out of the parent theme’s style.css file and add them to the child theme to change them there. You can override existing values by changing them in the child theme to the CSS baseline. Say you wanted to take the padding out on an element, instead of just deleting the reference to padding that you copied over to the child theme, you should set it to padding: 0 .

Take care,
    Bill

Allison Deerr
    Participant

Thanks again, Bill. That solved the issue. And thank you for the reminder about the child theme. We should set one up sooner rather than later so we can install the Forward updates, but we’ve been putting it off since it seems like a major headache after all the changes we already made to the parent theme…We live and learn!

Bill Robbins

?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Widget CSS’ is closed to new replies.