weird behavior in chrome and photos loading slowly

Support Area Forums Foxy weird behavior in chrome and photos loading slowly

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question: http://tokyowriterssalon.com/events/
  • Author
    Lauren Shannon
    Participant

Hi:

Please see the screenshot – this is what I see in Chrome. Also, the background slideshow pics are very slow loading.

Can you let me know what I can do fix both?

thanks,

Bill Robbins

Hello Lauren,

Unfortunately for everyone, Google shipped a version of Chrome with a pretty serious bug in it. The browser will often refuse to display web fonts, including ones from Google’s own service.

There’s a post about it at https://support.organizedthemes.com/chrome-font-bug/ which has a plugin that may fix the problem for you. It works on most sites, but not all. The bug is irregular. Some people may see your site properly in Chrome while others don’t.

If the plugin doesn’t do the trick, the only alternative is to deactivate the Google web fonts until they patch their browser. At the bottom of the Styling tab in the Theme Options page there is a checkbox where you can do that.

For the background images there are some things to do that will speed up your site. First I noticed that the images were saved as PNG files. Since those are photographs, you’ll want to save them as JPEG files instead. Some of the images are around 1.5mb in size. You’ll probably want to shoot for a JPEG that’s around 250kb in size. That will speed things up dramatically.

The other thing I would do is add the WP Super Cache plugin. It will “cache” page views on your site making it much more responsive for visitors. It also has an option to “gzip” and compress your content. I would enable that option as it will also speed things up.

If you run into any trouble on either front, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘weird behavior in chrome and photos loading slowly’ is closed to new replies.