video

Support Area Forums Agency video

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Alejandro Paredes
    Participant

Hi Bill!

I was wonder how to add a video in the homepage not using any video provider, I can upload my video either into wordpress or via ftp and start it when the page has been loaded?

thanks

Ale

Bill Robbins

That’s a great question. At this moment, there isn’t a built in way to go about that. WordPress just added its first video player this summer which will be a great addition to the platform. Here’s one way I think you could use the built-in player at the moment as the featured video.

First go to the page where you’d like to have the video displayed. Upload your video to your WordPress library. Then click to insert it like you would an image. On the right hand side, before you insert it, make sure the “Attachment Display Settings” are set to embed a player. Then insert the player and update your page.

Next visit the page and you should see the player in your page content. View the source code of the page and find the video player code. Copy that code and edit the page again. Now paste that code in the box for the video embed code. Choose the video format from the box in the right hand column and also remove the embedded video from your page content.

Once you update your page, hopefully the video will appear in your header as expected. I’ve yet to try this, but that’s a possibility. I also don’t know if the built-in player supports auto-play or not. The actual script that runs it does, but I’m not sure about the WordPress implementation.

You also may need to check with your host about streaming video. It’s rather server intensive so lots of hosts won’t actually allow you to do that. They may not care/notice if it’s not watched a lot, but if you get a lot of views, they may not be happy.

If you run into any questions or trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Alejandro Paredes
    Participant

Hi Bill!

Under “Attachment Display Settings” I don’t get the option to embed a player. I just get “link to media file or Attachment Page… and when inserting I just can see a link… maybe I’m not doing it the right way or still is not working… thanks

Ale

Bill Robbins

We’ll you’ve got me there. The documentation I had seen on the feature indicated that’s how the videos would be inserted. You can take a look at the article in the Codex about the video shortcode at https://codex.wordpress.org/Video_Shortcode. You might be able to pull up the player by using the shortcode method to insert it into a post.

I’m going to have to experiment with this a bit more. I just haven’t had time and assumed what I had read was still accurate.

Unless you have a strong reason not to, I would suggest sticking with a service like Vimeo. They’ll handle serving the right formats so you don’t have to create multiple copies of your videos too.

As soon as I get a handle on this, I’ll write a post about it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘video’ is closed to new replies.