Video on homepage

Support Area Forums Foundation Video on homepage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.dandeliontestingsites.com/3MM/
  • Author
    Dandelion222
    Participant

I am working on the homepage layout for a site redesign using the Foundation theme. We have a nice video we would like to have on the homepage. We don’t want it to be part of the slideshow. I used the “featured video widget” but that forces the video to be small – one column or 1/3 of page. Even though the video embed code specifies the width as 560. Is there a way to include our video and have it display at a larger size?

Bill Robbins

You can do that. Edit your home page and place the video in the main content area there. Then update your page. Next go to the widget section in your dashboard and add a “page content” widget to the “Home Bottom” widget area. The widget’s settings should open up with a drop down menu there to select the page you would like to use as the source of the content to go there. Choose the home page and your video and any other content on your home page will be placed inside the widget.

This particular widget is full width in the home bottom area so it should span across all three columns in the home bottom. It’ll only show content from the main content area, not any featured images or videos though.

If you run into trouble, let me know.

Take care,
    Bill

Dandelion222
    Participant

That worked! Except it didn’t span across. So I removed the width and height attributes in the embed code (iframe). Then it got all small again. So I played around and specified 925 x 520. Then it fit, but wasn’t responsive.

Maybe I should add the video to the slide show and have it stop at the last slide?

Bill Robbins

You can make it responsive. Just before your embed code, place this shortcode:

[fit]

and after the embed code add this:

[/fit]

That should add in the wrappers to make that responsive for you. If it doesn’t, let me know.

Dandelion222
    Participant

Is it at all possible to tell a widget to span 2 columns? Or to be higher so the other content becomes 2? that seems to be what happened when I moved my facebook page widget. Suddenly the recent posts became 2 columns instead of 3. Trying to think how I can force the video to be 2.

Bill Robbins

There’s not a built in option to set the number of columns a widget spans. The bar style widgets, the sponsor widget and the page content widget are all full width. The featured posts widget is two columns and the rest will all be one column.

Dandelion222
    Participant

That worked! Thank you! And good to know that featured posts is always 2 columns. I can stop adding text and shifting things to try to make that change. 🙂

Bill Robbins

Happy to help out. Enjoy your weekend 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Video on homepage’ is closed to new replies.