Video format for blog posts doesn't display as it should

Support Area Forums Kerygma Video format for blog posts doesn't display as it should

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
URL to the page in question: http://ievaladares.org/blog/
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I tried to publish a post with the video format, but instead of placing the video above the post title, the tag {{unknown}} appears above a big blank space, and the post comes up on a standard format below that.

The standard format works fine, so I switched to that, but here is a link to a screenshot of what happens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yragn1oawmwxs7c/Screen%20Shot%202015-02-25%20at%2022.18.49.png?dl=0

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
    Ana

Bill Robbins

Hello Ana,

We’ll that’s not what we’re going for. Any chance you could send over a login to your site so I can take a closer look for you? You can mark the post private here in the forum and I’ll be the only one who can see it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Good question. I’m not looking to make any edits, just trying to determine what’s causing the trouble. I haven’t run into that before so having a look at the back end would help me out quite a bit.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Thanks Ana,

I just gave the login a try and I’m getting a message back saying either the username or password isn’t correct. Would you mind checking on those for me?

Bill

Participant

Hi Bill,

Oops, I’m sorry. I changed it to what I actually sent you and double-checked it. You should have no problem now.

Thank you,
    Ana

Bill Robbins

Hello Ana,

Thanks for checking on that for me. It looks like you have uncovered a bug here in our function that grabs the first video. It continued to work for video posts that had been created before whatever change to the WordPress core caused our trouble. Because of that, I’m not entirely sure when it stopped working.

The good news is I do believe there is fix for us. Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose images.php
    3. Replace the entire content of the file with this:

(Make sure to copy that code directly from the support site and not the notification email).

4. Save your changes.

I’ve tested that change locally with YouTube, Vimeo and a self-hosted video and it seems to work with all of those. Let me know if that doesn’t take care of it for you.

Enjoy your Saturday,
    Bill

Participant

Hi Bill,

I clicked on “view raw” on your post and copied that to the images.php file.

Unfortunately the video now shows twice, on top as it should with the video format, and below the title, like with the standard format:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/be1a9zopyejxi9r/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-02%20at%2010.44.09.png?dl=0

What should I do?

Thanks,
    Ana

Bill Robbins

Hello Ana,

Excellent question. That’s actually what it’s supposed to do. To keep the video from displaying on in the content of the post, you’ll can use the “read more” tag. That’s a special tag that you can insert into a WordPress post that will cut the content off at that point. You can place the video after that tag and that will keep the video from being displayed a second time on the main post page.

The other option is to write an excerpt. When you’re editing a post, there is a small box below the main content box. This is where you can craft an excerpt of your post. If there is one present, it will be displayed instead of the full post content.

The last option is to switch your blog page from displaying the full content of each post to only display the excerpt. That will cause the first 55 words of each post, with no images, videos or other graphics, to display. You don’t have to hand craft those, WordPress will create them automatically if a manual excerpt hasn’t been entered.

Let me know if you run into trouble there.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

It looks perfect! 😀

Thanks for all your help, Bill,
    Ana

Bill Robbins

Fantastic 🙂

Take care Ana

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Video format for blog posts doesn't display as it should’ is closed to new replies.