Upload Error

Support Area Forums Moonrise Upload Error

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.sisterofsoul.com.au
  • Author
    LeanneKingwell
    Participant

Hi,

My first time creating a wordpress site using an external theme.

Had to manually upload “Moonrise” to host due to receiving following error message from within wordpress:
    “Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2014/12. Is its parent directory writable by the server?”

The manual upload seemed to work, and I was able to select Moonrise as my theme from within WordPress.

However, as soon as I tried to begin work on my new site by uploading a logo I received the same message again:
    “Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2014/12. Is its parent directory writable by the server?”

Please advise.Thanks! 🙂

Bill Robbins

Hello Leanne,

Sorry for the trouble there. The files on web servers all have various permissions set on them which allow for various “users” to do different things. For the server, WordPress is a user and in this case it sounds like WordPress doesn’t have the necessary permission to create new files on your server.

It sounds like you’re familiar with using FTP or your web host’s control panel’s file browser. What you’ll want to do is go to the wp-content directory on your server. Set its permissions to 755 and then try to upload again. If all goes well, WordPress should be able to create a new folder and begin adding files.

If you run into trouble, let me know. Occasionally this is something that requires the web host to make that change. If you can’t change it, we may need to ask them for help.

Thank you for your business,
    Bill

LeanneKingwell
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your help.
    I tried updating permissions to 755, (most already seemed to be set to 755), but experienced the same error. So I called my web host, and they tried changing relevant permissions to a different number (775) and all seems to be working well now. 🙂

Thanks again for your speedy response!

Best,
    Leanne

Bill Robbins

I’m glad to hear they were able to help you get up and running. If I can help with anything else, just let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Upload Error’ is closed to new replies.