Updating help

Support Area Forums Elite Updating help

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    steven radzikowski
    Participant

Mr. Bill, I’m getting a message that if i update i will lose all my settings. Eeek!
    So how do i make a child theme to not lose things when updating? I googled it and saw that i make a second folder and use a new css file there. is that all i need to do?

Bill Robbins

Great question. You shouldn’t loose your settings when you update the theme or WordPress. I can’t speak for a plugin, but with the themes or WordPress itself you should be fine.

What you will lose when updating a theme are any modifications that you’ve made to theme files directly. To keep those edits you will want to use a child theme. There’s a quick introduction to them at http://www.organizedthemes.com/creating-a-child-theme/ that can help you get started with a basic one.

That said, it’s always a good idea to have a regular back-up schedule for your site to make sure that you can restore it if ever something goes wrong. One free and popular solution is WordPress Backup to Dropbox. I used BackupBuddy for years before switching to WP Engine where they make daily backups for me.

There’s also a backup for the theme options page too. It’s in the Appearance section where it says Options Import/Export. You can export a copy of your settings there.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

steven radzikowski
    Participant

Thanks Mr. Bill. I installed that and used it. seems ok. ^^

Bill Robbins

Fantastic. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Have a great day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Updating help’ is closed to new replies.