{{unknown}} Shows with Large Blank Space on Posts Page

Support Area Forums Forward {{unknown}} Shows with Large Blank Space on Posts Page

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.brazoriacountymuddrags.com/blog/
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

For some reason, {{unknown}} Shows with Large Blank Space on Posts Page in the Organized Themes – Forward theme. It also doesn’t display content on the blog page, which is set to display posts. It shows the posts, just not content at top.

I have read: https://support.organizedthemes.com/forums/topic/video-format-for-blog-posts-doesnt-display-as-it-should/

and replaced code as instructed. It removes the {{unknown}} error and leaves a large blank space on the posts page and on every page so I have replaced it with the original. I forgot to check to see if it affected the individual posts. The {{unknown}} warning seems to be where the page title is.

This happened prior on a page ( the {{unknown}} error) and my solution was to delete the page and remake it, which worked.

Please tell me how to remove this {{unknown}} error and allow the posts page to display content above posts as it should.

Thank you for making an easy to use template.

Bill Robbins

Hello Robert,

I’m so sorry about that. I knew that was in the Kerygma theme, but had totally forgotten that I used the same function in Forward as well.

I will test that this afternoon and push out an update that should fix it for everybody.

One of my customers who had this trouble with the Kerygma theme, once she had the fix she still had trouble. There was a shortcode that surrounded the URL to YouTube in her post that was keeping the video from displaying. It just left a big empty box. Once the update is out, if you see just an empty space double check that the video URL is on a line by itself with nothing before or after it.

I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with the theme. Sorry again for the trouble.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Hello again Robert,

I believe I have this sorted out. If you don’t mind, give this a try and let me know if you have any trouble. There are two files to edit. Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose images.php. Replace all the content of that file with this:

(Make sure to copy that code directly from the support site and not the notification email).

3. Save your changes and then edit the index.php file. Replace all of it with this:

4. Save your changes.

See if that doesn’t place the videos and remove the unnecessary empty space as well. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

Thank you Bill –

I replaced the image.php file and it removed the {{unknown}}, but when I replaced the index.php file, the site got bricked, displaying on every page:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_header() in /home/satho3/public_html/brazoriacountymuddrags.com/index.php on line 12

I restored the index.php file and the site regained functionality, with the unknown error fixed, showing an additional blank space on every page.

Restored original image.php to regain unknown error with correct page spacing.

Please advise.

Bill Robbins

That’s puzzling. Any chance you could send over a login so I can take a look at that page for you? If you mark the post as private here, I’ll be the only one who can see it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Thanks for sending that Robert. I went in and made the two changes to index.php and images.php. That seems to have gotten it this time around. Every now and again coping/pasting code just doesn’t go quite as expected. So hopefully that will take care of it for you.

If you do run into trouble, let me know.

Great looking site by the way 🙂

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

Thanks Bill! Works!

To be clear, you used the same index.php code supplied in this thread?

I am still not able to display the Blog page content above the posts like here: Pet Care Blog

Is this ability part of the theme? If not – can it be?

No rush. The SEO of Blog page is generating, just not Page Title and Page content.

Thank you for the compliment. It’s getting close to completion. I’ve been working on websites for years and don’t know as much as you. I appreciate your work.

Please let me know when you want to work on it and I will change permissions.

Bill Robbins

I think I copied over the same code this time around. I’ve had instances of copying a username and password when I do the same thing each time and it only works on the third. I don’t know what was different this time around, but I’m happy it’s set now. I added those changes to the next update of the theme so it’ll work going forward for everyone.

Excellent question there, but not one that has a happy answer. When a page is set to be the “posts” page in WordPress, everything is ignored by WordPress on that page except for the page title and the URL slug. I would love for that not to be the case, but that’s just how it works.

The only way I know around that is to hard code any text you need into the page. The way I would go about that is I would create a child theme. That will make updates easier in the future.

I would copy the index.php file from the original theme and add it to the child one. I would then edit it and find this line:

<div id="content" class="site-content" role="main">

and right below that, add in the content that you’d like to have there. To keep things consistent, I would wrap it in some HTML like this:

<article class="clearfix">

<header class="entry-header">
    		<h1 class="page-title">Your Title</h1>
    	</header>

<p>Your Content Here.</p>

</article>

That part is optional though.

I love creating things for the web. There’s always something new for me to learn. Having clients ask me how to do crazy things really helped push me though a lot when I was starting out. It’s been fun.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Participant

Hello Bill –

I think I spoke to soon. Somehow, the pages all have a large space at top. When I said it was fixed I must not have cleared cache/didn’t check pages.

What is making those spaces on page and how can we fix.

Thank you in advance – Please enjoy your Sunday.

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Robert,

I believe that’s taken care of in the theme update I published this morning. If it’s still there after that, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

Thanks – works perfect 🙂

Bill Robbins

Splendid 🙂

Have a great week.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘{{unknown}} Shows with Large Blank Space on Posts Page’ is closed to new replies.