Tweaking a few areas

Support Area Forums Bottega Tweaking a few areas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Talisman
    Participant

Okay, I showed my client the site as-is today, and, overall, she was thrilled–really happy with how clean and elegant it looks. She only had a few tweaks, and I’m working on those but running into some problems — probably due to a fuzzy head, but let’s just see!

First, she wanted the header color and menu text color to be swapped. So instead of white words on scarlet, she wanted scarlet words on white. I changed the header color very easily under Appearance: Theme Options: Styling, but, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to change the color of the menu text that appears on the header! I know I did it when I first started customizing the out-of-the-box theme, but memory fails. How do I reset the menu color and hover color?

Next, she wants me to add the email address for reservations to the footer with the phone numbers or to the Google maps contact box. I also need to add more fields to the Contact widget anyway, since we have to include a note about kitchen closing times (it closes before the whole restaurant closes). I tried going into the Theme Editor to add the fields myself:

function widget($args, $instance) {
    extract( $args );

$title = empty($instance[‘title’]) ? __(‘Contact Info’,’organizedthemes’) : $instance[‘title’];
    $name = empty($instance[‘contact_name’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_name’];
    $day1 = empty($instance[‘contact_day1’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_day1’];
    $times1 = empty($instance[‘contact_times1’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_times1’];
    $day2 = empty($instance[‘contact_day2’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_day2’];
    $times2 = empty($instance[‘contact_times2’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_times2’];
    $day3 = empty($instance[‘contact_day3’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_day3’];
    $open = empty($instance[‘contact_open’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_open’];
    $times3 = empty($instance[‘contact_times3’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_times3’];
    $day4 = empty($instance[‘contact_day4’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_day4’];
    $times4 = empty($instance[‘contact_times4’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_times4’];
    $street = empty($instance[‘contact_street’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_street’];
    $address2 = empty($instance[‘contact_address2’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_address2’];
    $city = empty($instance[‘contact_city’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_city’];
    $phone = empty($instance[‘contact_phone’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_phone’];
    $email = empty($instance[‘contact_email’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_email’];
    $map = empty($instance[‘contact_map’]) ? ” : $instance[‘contact_map’];

?>

Obviously, I just copied and pasted to create day4 and times4. Then I changed the following to include those:

‘.$open.’:

‘; ?>

‘.$day1.’:

‘; ?>
      ‘.$times1.’

‘; ?>
      ‘.$day2.’:

‘; ?>
      ‘.$times2.’

‘; ?>
      ‘.$day3.’:

‘; ?>
      ‘.$times3.’

‘; ?>
      ‘.$day4.’:

‘; ?>
      ‘.$times4.’

‘; ?>

However, when I update and go back to the widget, the new fields aren’t there. I also don’t know how to add an email field to make it clickable (tried and failed!). Is there some other part of the CSS I have to edit to make these things work?

Last of all, my client didn’t like SliderPro for the same reasons I didn’t, so I’ve deleted it. Just doesn’t match the flawless classiness of Bottega. 😉 So I’m changing the slider images at the top to include beautiful text instead. Just thought I’d let you know.

So… any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Really only minor changes needed, so I am thrilled with how easy this was!

Warmly,
    Jennie

Talisman
    Participant

Duh. Fuzzy head cleared, and I figured out how to change the menu text color. So no need for help there! Still can’t figure out how to change the Contact widget to allow more fields….

Best,
    Jennie

Bill Robbins

Jennie,

The amount of fields in the contact widget can make it rather tricky to update them all. It looks like you have the saving of the fields right, did you happen to add support for the actual form that is used on the widget screen? It’s down at the bottom of the file, in a section with repeated blocks that look something like this:

Basically you’ll need to create a new one of those for each extra field you want to add.

Then to use the new data, you’ll need to add support for it in this section:

That’s where WordPress combines the data that is saved from the widget form and displays it to your visitors.

If you have any trouble, let me know. You can also paste your code at gist.github.com so you don’t have to convert any of your characters too.

Talisman
    Participant

Ah– I figured I must have missed something else in the CSS. I’ll see if I can modify those areas.

What can I do to add a clickable email link (reservations@thetalismanrestaurant.com) in the footer. I’m kind of surprised the theme doesn’t just have a little email button like it does for YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Have you considered adding one? Then there’s an easy email click link on every footer….

Just a thought!

All the best,
    Jennie

Bill Robbins

You’re right; I don’t have a way to add an email link to the footer. We’ll have to include that next update. Until then you can add one manually. To do that, edit the footer.php file and look for this spot:

<p>© <?php echo date('Y'); ?> <a href="/"><?php bloginfo('name'); ?></a> <br /><a href="http://www.organizedthemes.com" >Organized Themes</a></p>

You can replace any or all of that with an email link lik this:

Let me know if you need any help

Talisman
    Participant

Got it all fixed. I had missed two places in the contact widget. Amazing how many times you can look through code and still miss something! My hat is off to theme developers.

Many, many thanks for the over-the-top technical support. My client is thrilled with her site, and I know it’s going to be a winner for the non-tech guys who will be updating the menu and events from time to time. Another designer insisted on creating a Joomla-based site for this restaurant, which would have required someone creating a new page in Adobe every time something changed. Ridiculous! I love WordPress for its ease of use, and custom themes like Bottega make it easy to create a custom look without sweating too much over CSS.

Warmly,
    Jennie

Hi. I think what I need may be in here, but I’m not sure which part it is.
    I am looking to add a contact email to the connections widget on the epic theme. It’s neat that it has phone number, twitter, etc…but email would be nice, too.

Bill Robbins

Ann,

Probably the easiest option here is to add that link to the widget file itself. Since you’re not likely to change that email address often, hard coding it won’t be too bad. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose widget-contact.php and look for this spot:

<?php if($city) echo '<li class="locality">'.$city.'</li>'; ?>

3. Right below that paste this:

Change the youraddress@url.com to the email address you’d like to use. You can also change the Email Us to the text you’d like to make your link.

4. Save your changes.

That should add the link for you. I think I’ll include that in the next update to the theme too. It’s a good idea to have it there.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Perfect. Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Tweaking a few areas’ is closed to new replies.