Staff Text Cut off. Add "read more" link?

Support Area Forums Live Staff Text Cut off. Add "read more" link?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question: http://avenueumc.com/?page_id=132
  • Author
    aumc
    Participant

Hi,

we have our staff page setup and under each picture it has a set amount of text but when it gets to the limit it just cuts it off? Can we have a read more link? I tried adding a “read more” option on the page text but I can’t get it to work for either the Staff page or any other page. Here is the staff page.. http://avenueumc.com/?page_id=132

Also on the “Read More” option for a regular page maybe I misunderstand. I though if I added the option when you did a featured page widget it would get to that point and they have a read more link. Does not seem to work that way. Just includes everything on page.

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Great question. The staff listing page will display the “excerpt” below each staff person’s name. If a custom excerpt hasn’t been entered, then it will display the first 55 words of the “content” of that staff member.

You can swap out the excerpt for the full content with the ability to use a read more link. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page-staff.php and find this spot:

<?php the_excerpt(); ?>

3. Replace that with this:

(Be sure to copy that code directly from the support site and not the notification email.)

4. Save your changes.

That should let you add in a “more” link to your content for your staff members that will generate a read more link at that point on the front of your website.

For blog posts, there are two options for the blog archive. You can display an excerpt or the full content. If you go with the full content you can use the more tag to cut off your content.

If you need to break a page up into more than one page, you can do that. It’s a different tag than the read more that we use with posts (that one doesn’t work on pages). To break a page up into multiple pages, use this:

<!--nextpage-->

each time you want to add in a new page.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Staff Text Cut off. Add "read more" link?’ is closed to new replies.