Staff Page

Support Area Forums Authentic Staff Page

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Chris Humphrey
    Participant

I had another question for you Bill =D – When I go to the staff page on my website, it shows the final person of the staff along the title bar of my internet browser. What’s the solution for my goof?

Also, is there a way to delete staff members so I can seperate our staff into more detailed lists of people?

Thanks again for your help! 🙂

Bill Robbins

It is a bit of a goof. With Authentic, I tried using a new theme options page that I hate to say just hasn’t worked out as well as I hoped. The page title in the staff section is a by-product of that. I’ve nearly finished an update to the theme that uses a different options page (it’s already in Foxy and Foundation). That should take care of the page title problem.

You can have multiple staff listings. In the right hand column when you’re editing a staff member, just below the publish box, there is a box for staff group. To create different lists, you’ll want to create multiple staff groups. They’re like categories for your staff members. Once you have some staff groups created, they can be added directly to your navigation (Appearance>Menu) where a “page” for that group will be created.

Let me know if you have any other questions and enjoy your week,
    Bill

Chris Langille
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I’m trying to create my staff page as well, but is there a Staff page template?

How do I get all the staff members to appear on the same page like the demo?

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Chris,

Here’s what you’ll want to do. As you create your staff members, add each of them to a “staff group.” There is a box for that on the right hand side of the edit screen down below the publish box. You can think of it as a category for your staff members.

You can add all of them to the same category, or use multiple categories. Once you have at least one staff member added you can then go to the navigation builder (Appearance> Menu) and add that staff group to your menu. If you don’t see staff groups as one of the available items to add in your menu builder, click on screen options (or if you’re using WordPress 3.3 beta click on help) and make sure that the box for staff group is checked to make it visible.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Chris Langille
    Participant

Thanks Bill, worked great

Chris Humphrey
    Participant

Hey Bill,

Is there a way to show more than 10 people on the staff page instead of having people click the “older entries” button at the bottom of the page? Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Good question. Here’s how to do that.

1) Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2) From the list of files on your right, choose taxonomy-staff_type.php
    3) Look for this line:

<?php $posts = query_posts( $query_string . ‘&orderby=menu_order&order=asc’ ); ?>

and replace it with this:

4) Save your changes.

You can adjust the number of staff members that appear on each page by editing the posts_per_page=20 to replace the 20 with the number you’d like to appear on that page.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Andrea Walker
    Participant

I am trying to change the staff page to show all my staff instead of having to go t o”older entries” I’ve placed in the code from prev. post. It’s not working. http://www.helpportraitridgemeadows.com

Bill Robbins

Thanks for sending the link to your site. I took a look and it appears you’ll need to make the change above to the archive-staff.php file too. Give that a try and let me know if you have any trouble.

Chris Marsh
    Participant

I’m having trouble with my staff page: the image of the staff member appears only on the “more” page, but not on the main staff list page. Any ideas?
    http://www.sjtl.org/wp-site

Bill Robbins

Chris. Here’s how to get your staff members to appear on the listing and also work like they do in the demo.

Once you’ve uploaded your staff member’s picture, click the link at the bottom of the pop-up lightbox that says “Use As Featured Image.” Then update your staff member. That should add the staff member’s picture to the appropriate places for you.

If you need help with featured images, there is a quick screencast in the Video Section.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Scott Jung
    Participant

Any updates to the “goof” that causes the name of a staff member to appear as the page title? I just installed the Authentic template (love it, by the way), and noticed that the goof is still there.

Also, I’m trying to make it so the Job Title on the staff archive pages are bold to set it apart from the description excerpt. I tried editing the archive-staff.php template by changing

the_value(‘_title’);?>

to

< strong >the_value(‘_title’);?>< / strong >

but I’m guessing I’m adding the formatting tag in the wrong place?

Bill Robbins

Scott,

Glad you like the theme and thank you for your business. You can actually download the next version of the theme from the top of the instructions page. I’m still working on making the theme responsive which is why it hasn’t been the official new release yet. The built in titles work much better and it’s also easier to disable them if you’d like to use your own SEO plugin. It also standardizes the theme options page with the one for the rest of our themes.

If you’d like to bold the title, here’s where you’ll need to edit:

1. For the staff archive (listings) edit archive-staff.php and look for this spot:

<p><?php echo get_post_meta($post->ID, "title", TRUE); ?></p>

and change it to this:

<p><strong><?php echo get_post_meta($post->ID, "title", TRUE); ?></strong>

2. For the individual staff members pages, you’ll want to edit single-staff.php and make the same change there.

Have a great day and let me know if you have any trouble or questions,
    Bill

Chris Marsh
    Participant

How do I re-order the staff page?
    I tried Post Types Order but it only works on posts, not staff entries.
    Also, is it possible to resize staff images at all or will I need to edit them manually?

http://www.sjtl.org/staff_type/core/

Chris

Bill Robbins

Chris,

You can set the order. When you’re editing a staff member, look in the right hand column and you’ll see a box labeled “order.” You can enter numbers here that will determine which order the various staff members are displayed.

I often count by 10’s so it’s easier later on to add a new member between two existing ones.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

John Renock
    Participant

Bill,

I have added staff members (two so far) but they do not show up on the Staff Page.

Got the info, the order, the photo and published them. I guess I don’t know how to point them to the Staff page that I made, or is that the problem?

Love the theme…last chatted at the slider blog.

John

Bill Robbins

John,

I’m not certain what’s happening there. Any chance you could send a login to your site to support@organizedthemes.com so I can a look for you?

Thanks,
    Bill

Chris Barrowman
    Participant

Hi Bill
    How do I get all my staff to show up on the staff page, as in your demo, but not have their different categories showing up in the menu? I’d still like them to be in different categories however (elder, deacon etc). Going round in circles with this – all new to me! Thanks for the theme and your help, really enjoying building the site (www.crossnesschurch.com).
    Regards Chris

Bill Robbins

Chris,

Great question. You can do that. What you’ll need to do is create an overall category that you place all your staff in. Then you can add that to your menu and all your staff members will be listed. It’s possible to add a staff member to more than one group.

If you run into any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Chris Barrowman
    Participant

That’s great Bill, thanks!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Staff Page’ is closed to new replies.