Sponsors to display along the bottom of all pages (above the footer)

Support Area Forums Forward Sponsors to display along the bottom of all pages (above the footer)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    J
    Participant

I’d like to get sponsors displayed along the bottom of all pages (above the footer) as in the Forward theme demo. How can they be displayed there? Also, how can the sponsor logos move (revolve) from right to left continuously so that many can be featured equally on all pages of the site?

Plus…

Iā€™d like to set up a staff group so that it is displayed in the footer (on the right) and another staff group set up to appear only on a single page.

Guidance required from the first step, please!

Bill Robbins

Good Morning. Let’s see if we can find answers for you.

Sponsors — what you’ll want to do here is add the sponsors widget to the footer widget area. That will get the content there for us to work with. Then do this:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Customize.
    2. Look down for the advanced section and click on it. Then choose Custom CSS.
    3. In the box there, add this:

#footer-sidebar {
      	background-color: #fff;
      	margin-left: -30px;
      	margin-right: -30px;
      	margin-top: -30px;
      	width: auto;
      }

#footer-sidebar .widget.sponsor-display {
      	float: none;
      	width: 100%;
      	margin-bottom: 30px;
      }

4. Save your changes.

That should give you a full width, sponsor widget that’ll appear just above the footer.

It sounds like you’re looking for a carousel to display your sponsor logos in a widget, is that right? What we might want to do here is actually employ a plugin like WP Posts Carousel (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-posts-carousel/) to make that possible. You could try adding it to your footer, set to display sponsors instead of posts. We’d likely need to style it a bit to match, but that shouldn’t be difficult. If you go that route, let me know.

Staff group — Are you saying that you want to display one staff group on every page in the footer and then have another staff group in the footer on a different page? I just want to make sure I have an idea of what you’re wanting to create.

Thanks,
    Bill

J
    Participant

Bill, thanks a lot for your swift assistance.

Adding that code does appear to have created a space above the footer where I’ll hopefully manage to display the sponsors, however it has pushed everything in the footer out of position, left aligning all the footer items and stacking them on top of each other.

The carousal feature is indeed the type of display that we’d like for the sponsors (to appear just above the footer). How should I go about this?

Regarding the staff groups: One of the groups will be “Partners” and we’d like to display thumbnail images of them (about eight) in the right of the footer on all pages. The other group will be a “Board of Advisors” and we’d like them to be featured on one single page only.

Bill Robbins

Go with the plugin for the carousel. If you’ll add it to the footer and send over the URL to your site, I can send back instructions for styling it.

For your staff, you can add a staff group directly to your navigation menu. That will create a “page” (really it’s a dynamic archive) just of that staff group. That should let you handle that for your board of advisors.

Once you send over the URL, I’ll have a better idea of how to fit in the partners to your footer.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Hi Jevon,

Thanks for sending that over. You can mark any reply here in the forum as private and I’ll be the only one who can see them. That way you can have things secure and private when you need them to be.

Would you mind also sending over a login too? That might be the quickest way to get that set up for you.

Thanks so much,
    Bill

J
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Good Morning J,

Thank you for doing that. Any chance you could switch the account to an admin so I can work with widgets? Editors can only work with page/post content.

For your staff group page, you don’t actually want to use a WordPress page at all. Instead go to the appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Menus. Instead of adding a page to the navigation menu for the staff group, add the staff group itself. You should see staff groups listed among the content types on your left that you can add to a menu. If you don’t, click on the screen options tab in the top right corner and make sure the box by staff groups is checked.

Then you can add your staff group to your navigation menu. That’ll create a “page” for them (it’s really a dynamic archive and not an actual WordPress page).

Let me know how it goes,
    Bill

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Hi Jevon,

Thanks for doing that. After looking at it a bit more, I don’t think that’s going to work out after all.

Would you be open to letting me cook up a quick child theme for you? It’s a way you can modify the behavior of a WordPress theme in a way that still lets you upgrade the original theme in the future. I’ll make one that adds your sponsors in a carousel just above the footer for you. If that works for you, I’ll cook it up.

Thanks,
    Bill

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Perfect. I’ll get in the kitchen and should have it for you tomorrow afternoon.

Bill

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Jevon,

I just finished putting together the child theme for you. You can download it from https://support.organizedthemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/forward-sponsor-carousel.zip . Install it like you would a typical WordPress theme. It should show all of your sponsors in a revolving carousel at the bottom of every page, just above the footer.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks,
    Bill

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Hey Jevon,

Sorry for the trouble there. From WordPress’s perspective a child theme is as much a new theme as one that’s completely unrelated. That can cause some oddness with widgets and most navigation menus will need to be assigned to their locations again.

Let’s delete the carousel plugin altogether since we won’t be needing it. Then try activating the child theme again. You may need to place your widgets back in their right spots and assign your navigation menus again. Let me know how that goes.

Bill

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Looks like the child theme wasn’t activating. It didn’t like the difference between a “F” and a “f” there. I installed and activated it for you now. See if you can add your sponsors now.

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

I added in a heading like the widget titles to introduce the sponsors there. See how that looks to you.

The colors also aren’t inherited between parent and child themes. Sorry about that.

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Try clearing out your web browser’s cache and then refresh your page. See how that looks.

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

I’m happy to have helped out Jevon šŸ™‚

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Sponsors to display along the bottom of all pages (above the footer)’ is closed to new replies.