Sponsor / Staff Listing

Support Area Forums Foundation Sponsor / Staff Listing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
URL to the page in question: http://targetingexcellence.org
  • Author
    Dave Funderburke
    Participant

We are wanting to build a set of pages featuring each of the scholarship recipients this year. Ideally I want to use the staff interface to build each profile/page. However, I want to use the sponsor size/placement to display the list of recipients (small square headshots instead of larger rectangular headshots). Any advice or easy way to do this?

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Dave,

It is possible to do that. I would build the page for your scholarship recipients using the staff section like you mentioned. Add all the recipients to a common staff group. Then we can use a bit of CSS to target just that staff group to change its layout. I tested this out on your Iowa Board group.

1. Go to your theme options page and choose the Style tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

.term-iowa.archive .staff-member {
      	width: 160px;
      	float: left;
      	text-align: center;
      	margin-top: 0;
      	margin-bottom: 30px;
      	margin-right: 30px;
      	min-height: 210px;
      }

.term-iowa.archive .staff-details p {
      	display: none;
      }

.term-iowa.archive .staff-details h2 {
      	font-size: 24px;
      }

3. Replace each iowa in the snippet above with the “slug” for your staff group. You can find the slug by visiting the Staff section in your dashboard and clicking on staff groups. The slugs will be listed there.
    4. Update your settings.

See how that works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
    Bill

Dave Funderburke
    Participant

Thanks for your help. I think the best option for the look I want is to use the sponsor interface to add the scholarship recipients. Consequently is there a way to change the following:

On the individual sponsor page specifically for 2015scholarships slug I would like the change the “website” page of the hyperlink to say “LinkedIn”. LinkedIn URL will be the only thing we load for the winners on their individual profiles.

Can you change it so that the “phone number” is left of the website and both

Here is a winner’s page I am using to test changes: http://targetingexcellence.org/sponsor/chad-hamilton/

Also, is there a way to change “sponsor” in the url for this group only to something else?

————
    overall what would it take to add a new input option/interface on the dashboard for scholarship winners similar to the way both sponsors and staff have special sections on the dashboard? I think that would be the best option for keeping the scholarship winners separate from staff/committees and sponsors and assign specific slugs etc to them. They are an integral part of the website and the mission of the organization. If there would need to be a charge for this please let me know. I know I can “make it work” with the current interface but I am thinking long term it would be best to have the winners separate. Unfortunately I am still learning wordpress/coding so I am not comfortable trying to do it myself without some direction.

Bill Robbins

Since this is something that you’ll be having as an ongoing section of your site, I would go with a new section just for them. That will keep the content separate and also allow for unique slugs as well.

Probably the best way to approach that would be to create a child theme. It’s a way to modify a WordPress theme without risking losing those changes in an update. I can create one for you that adds in this section and the accompanying LinkedIN field too.

It is a beyond what would be included in support. The cost would be $50 and you can make that purchase at http://www.organizedthemes.com/themes/50-project/ . After that I’ll have you the child theme the next business day.

Thanks,
    Bill

Dave Funderburke
    Participant

I just made the purchase. I included details about what we need. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly on the cell phone number listed in the order. BTW my name is Rachel. Dave is the owner of the organization and I am the marketing manager.

Bill Robbins

Thank you very much Rachel. I’ll take care of it for you. I can add in a shortcode to display these like the sponsors as well. If you think of anything else you, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Good Afternoon Rachel,

I just wrapped up the custom child theme for you. You can download it at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6160765/Random%20Files/foundation-scholarships.zip . Once you’ve downloaded it, install it like you would a new WordPress theme. Usually you’ll have to assign your navigation menus to their locations in the theme again after a child theme is activated.

It adds in a “Scholarship” section where you can create new individual winners for scholarships like the staff or sponsors are. You can create Award Types which work like staff or sponsor groups to organize them.

There’s also a shortcode you can use to display an award type on the front end of your site. It works like this:

[scholarship group="slug"]

where the slug is the “slug” of the award type. You can find that by going to scholarships in your dashboard, clicking on Award Types and looking on the right hand side.

There’s also a page template for these. Lastly you can add them to your navigation menu directly via Award Types.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Dave Funderburke
    Participant

How do I move the award types to the same line?

For example on the following page: http://targetingexcellence.org/scholarship-winner/chad-hamilton-2/

I want 2015 Scholarship Recipient – 4 Year Award

Bill Robbins

If you need to have each scholarship recipient added to more than one group, you can do that. Add this to your Custom CSS so they’ll appear on the same line:

.single-scholarship p.staff-meta {
    	display: inline-block;
    	margin-right: 5px;
    }

See how that goes,
    Bill

Dave Funderburke
    Participant

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Anytime 🙂

Dave Funderburke
    Participant

Ok – so the group types are displaying all on one line but I need them in a different order

I need it to read [2015 Scholarship Recipient] [- 4 Year Award] [(Penn)]

The brackets are to show you the different tags/groups. [2015 scholarship Recipient] is the parent to the other two. If you cannot specify the order with more than 1 child I can get rid of the region. I am not sure if we will even keep it/use the region group individually anywhere.

Bill Robbins

You might try a plugin called Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order (https://wordpress.org/plugins/taxonomy-terms-order/). It adds a new screen to each taxonomy (like the Award Types) that lets you set their order via drag and drop.

Try setting them in the order you’d like them to appear first. If that doesn’t do it, then try reversing the order and see if that does.

Let me know if that doesn’t get it set for you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Sponsor / Staff Listing’ is closed to new replies.