Splitting Staff

Support Area Forums Agency Splitting Staff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Troy Johnson
    Participant

http://learningsolutionskids.com/wordpress/?page_id=97&preview=true&preview_id=97&preview_nonce=2e14f74883

Hello,

I want to split my staff into two drop downs, Clinical and Administrative but I do not see a way to do this. Is this an option with the template I have or do I just have to deal with a long list of staff?

Thanks,
    Troy

Bill Robbins

Troy,

Great question. You can do that using “Staff Groups.” Basically these work like categories for your staff members so you can group like one together.

When you’re editing or creating a staff member, look in the right hand column and you’ll see a box there for “Staff Groups.” At the very bottom of that box is a spot where you can create a new staff group. So for your first one, enter “Clinical” in that box. That will add “Clinical” to a list there with a box next to it that’s already checked. You can use the same method to add one for your Administrative group too.

Once you’ve created your groups, then you’ll want to add all of your staff members to the appropriate groups.

Lastly, you’ll want to go to the Appearance section and select Menus. On the left hand side you should see a box for staff groups there. If you don’t, click the “Screen Options” tab in the top right hand corner and make sure the box next to “Staff Groups” is checked.

Then you can add your staff groups to your navigation just like you would a page. That will create a “page” page for that group.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Troy Johnson
    Participant

HI Bill,

Thank you for the quick response. This is exactly what I wanted to do! Now though it is not putting everyone on one page. See link below
    http://learningsolutionskids.com/wordpress/?staff-group=clinical

How can I get all of my clinical team on one page like it was before?

Thanks,
    Troy

Troy Johnson
    Participant

And now my homepage is shifted all funky. The picture which used to be at the bottom right is now in the bottom middle.

http://learningsolutionskids.com/wordpress/

NEVERMIND… I guess I was just having a browser issue

Bill Robbins

For your staff listings, the number that are show per page are set in the WordPress reading settings. The setting there is global though; if you change it so you show 30 which would catch all of your staff on one page, it’ll also show 30 blog posts per page which may be less than ideal.

There is a plugin called “Custom Posts Per Page” that will let you specify a different number of posts (or staff members) that are shown on a per page basis. You can find the plugin at http://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-posts-per-page/. That might be a good solution for you here.

For your home page, I took a look at the source code and I believe I see three widgets:

1. There is a Featured Page widget on the left that has an featured image and links to a staff page.
    2. The next one is a text widget with the title of “Welcome to Learning Solutions.”
    3. The last one is a featured page widget, that does not have a featured image attached to it, but goes to the contact page. You’ll need to set a featured image for that page to have one appear in the widget.

You can also change the order of the widgets by dragging and dropping them on top of one another in the widgets screen (Appearance > Widgets).

If you have any trouble/questions, let me know,
    Bill

Troy Johnson
    Participant

I tried both methods, increasing global to 30 and the plugin, neither changed how my page looked. Am I missing something?

http://learningsolutionskids.com/wordpress/?staff-group=clinical

Bill Robbins

Let’s try a different method all together then. Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php and scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see this:

// Sets order of staff members in staff-groups
      		function agency_pre_posts( $query ) {

if ( is_tax( 'staff-group' ) ) {
      		        // displays in post order
      		        $query->set( 'order', 'ASC' );
      		        $query->set( 'orderby', 'menu_order' );
      		        return;
      		    }
      		}
      		add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'agency_pre_posts', 1 );

3. Replace that with this:
    4. Save your changes.

That should set the posts per page to unlimited for you. If it still give you trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Troy Johnson
    Participant

No, it still looks the same. Could it have anything to do with the simple page ordering plug in? I read on another post here to install that to put the staff in the order I want them.

Bill Robbins

Any chance you could send a login to support@organizedthemes.com so I can take a look for you?

Troy Johnson
    Participant

emailed it to you.

Thanks,
    Troy

Bill Robbins

Thanks Troy. Ironically, it was the Custom Posts Per Page plugin that was keeping the change from working. Once I turned it off, it appears that all of the staff are displaying without paginating. Plugins load first so even though it didn’t do want we wanted it to, it kept our other change from taking effect.

If you run into any other trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Splitting Staff’ is closed to new replies.