Splash/Welcome Page

Support Area Forums Agency Splash/Welcome Page

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
URL to the page in question: http://newbeginningsnh.org
  • Author
    Lauren Moore
    Participant

Hi there,
    I was wondering how to add a splash page to our website? I tried to create one in dreamweaver and I don’t know if it is a code problem, wordpress, bluhost or theme problem. If you have any ideas on this that would be tremendously helpful!!
    Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Hello Lauren,

Probably the best way to do that in WordPress would be to use a landing page plugin. There are quite a few out there and to be fair I haven’t used any of them so I don’t have a personal recommendation. You might give http://wordpress.org/plugins/landing-pages/ a try.

These are really common for marketing, so a lot of the terminology you’ll see will relate to that, but you can use what they generate to create your splash page.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Lauren Moore
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I actually tried a splash page plugin and it seems to be working fairly well. The only issue is the location of the “continue to site button. I looked on the support forums and it said to
    Add the following line in the /wp-content/plugins/wp-splash-page/templates/default/style.css

margin-top: 300px;

just at the bottom of :

#wpsp-continue {

display: inline-block;

cursor: pointer;

margin: 10px 0;

text-decoration: none;

border: 0px none;; padding-left:20px; padding-right:20px; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:10px

I can’t find “/wp-content/plugins/wp-splash-page/templates/default/style.css”

Is it possible to do this?

Bill Robbins

You could add any custom styling like that to the Custom CSS box that’s in the Styling tab of the Theme Options page. That will add it to your site and as long as it’s still valid code, it should do the trick.

Lauren Moore
    Participant

It seems I can’t add it without getting the white screen of death :/

Bill Robbins

All you would need to be adding to the Theme Options page would be this:

#wpsp-continue {
        margin-top: 300px;
    }

Don’t edit any files, just add that via the Custom CSS box that’s in the theme options page. Even if it doesn’t accomplish the design that you’re going for, it shouldn’t give a white screen.

But if you edit the custom-css.php file, it could very well give you the white screen of death. That file is not really made to have code added to it that way.

Lauren Moore
    Participant

Yeah I deleted the code I added, tried again, deleted it again and now I have white screen. How do you get rid of that?

Bill Robbins

You’ll have to restore whichever file was edited to how it was before. If you’re getting the white screen for your WordPress admin, you’ll have to make the change using a FTP program or your web host’s file browser that’s part of their control panel. Once the php error is fixed, your site should come back up.

Let me know if you run into trouble,
    Bill

Lauren Moore
    Participant

What would the file be called in the file browser?

Bill Robbins

If you edited the custom-css.php file you should be able to find it at wp-content/themes/agency/includes/custom-css.php

Lauren Moore
    Participant

To edit it I have to download it and then reupload it? I don’t have an html editor unless I can open it in dreamweaver

Bill Robbins

You’re fine to edit it in Dreamweaver if you’d like to.

Lauren Moore
    Participant

That did not work 🙁 I’m exasperated

Bill Robbins

Let’s do first things first to get you back in. In the file browser or your FTP program go to the wp-content/themes folder and rename the agency folder that’s there to agency1

If it was something edited in the theme, that should deactivate it and let you log back in. Once you do that, you’ll still have to fix the file error, but at least you’ll have access to the back end of your site again.

Once you’re in, activate one of the default WordPress themes — TwentyTwelve or one of those. Then change the folder name back to agency.

After that you can edit your agency theme without it being active. When you think you have it ready, preview the theme before activating it so you’ll know it works before committing to it.

If changing the theme folder name doesn’t do it, then it’s a plugin issue. You can manually turn them all off by changing the wp-content/plugins folder’s name to plugins1.

Let me know if you get stuck,
    Bill

Lauren Moore
    Participant

I renamed the agency file and got stuck already. I can’t get into the website.

Bill Robbins

If you want to email your FTP login and your WordPress login to support@organizedthemes.com I’ll try to get you unstuck.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Splash/Welcome Page’ is closed to new replies.