Small Boxes

Support Area Forums Bottega Small Boxes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://maureenduboisdesigns.com/
  • Author
    Robyn Sealock
    Participant

Hi

Awhile ago when I was first looking at this theme I emailed you about making a portfolio page from just the small boxes like this page on http://www.rachelreider.com/portfolio/residential.php

I was hoping to do a page like that on my site under my portfolio page – I would be good with either five or four boxes across. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thank you as always for your time.

Sharon

Bill Robbins

Hello Sharon,

My misunderstanding…I thought you were wanting to add more boxes like that to the front page.

So you’re looking to have another page template that can use theses boxes as a portfolio, correct? We should be able to do that. Just let me know if that’s what you’re going for and I’ll cook it up for you tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks,
    Bill

Robyn Sealock
    Participant

Yes that is what I am looking to do – have another page template that uses those boxes as a portfolio – then when you click on one of the boxes it would take you to a new page I am creating about that specific job.

Sharon

Bill Robbins

Hello Sharon,

I thought a bit more about how to do this and I think I’ve found a good option for us. We’ll make use of the food section of the site since you won’t be using that. That way we’ll only have to replace one file to get you what you’re describing. Here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose taxonomy-menu_group.php
    3. Replace everything in the file with this:

(Be sure to copy the code from the support site and not the notification email).

4. Save your changes.

Now to add your portfolio items, go to food and create your items there. Add the ones you’d like to display together to the same menu group. If you’d like to have text above your list of boxes, click on Menu Groups in the food section. There you can edit your menu groups and add descriptions. The description will be listed above the little boxes.

Then you can add your menu groups to the navigation menu. That will create a “page” (actually a dynamic archive) of the items in that group. That also has the advantage of allowing you to have as many groups as you’d like to if your client needs that.

You can create a child theme and place the new file in it if you’d like to. Probably a good idea to preserve against future updates.

See how that goes and let me know if you run into trouble.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Small Boxes’ is closed to new replies.