Slides load last?

Support Area Forums Bottega Slides load last?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Melissa Findley
    Participant

Site address: http://theatretallahassee.org

Any help with this issue would be appreciated. We’ve had multiple problems with our home page — to the point where my boss is suggesting that I find a new theme. I really don’t want to do that, because I think this theme really works for our site. Hopefully you can help me fix some of the issues that he’s having with it?

We were having lots of problems with the redirects on the five menu navigation buttons on the front page. The latest update seems to have broken those completely, so I’ve switched them to static images that directly link to where they’re supposed to go. It’s not ideal, but for the moment it’s working. I saw you’d mentioned to someone else on the support forums that the next update will possibly change how those featured buttons work? I’ve got my fingers crossed.

The biggest issue, however, is that the front page slideshow loads incredibly slowly, and well after the rest of the page. On a fast computer with a high speed connection it’s only a matter of a few seconds, but the noticeable lag is driving my boss crazy since we use the slideshow to feature any high priority events.

Removing the Google Map code seems to have helped somewhat, but part of the reason we went with this theme was because of the interactive Google Map and the Facebook widget on the front page.

Ideally we’d like the slideshow to load as soon as possible, and THEN the widgets below, with as little lag as possible. Any tips or trick on how to achieve this would be wonderful.

If it’s not possible to make it load sooner, is there a way to have some kind of placeholder image there to indicate that something WILL be loading in that space?

Bill Robbins

Melissa,

Sorry for the trouble. We’re always glad to help out.

For the redirection, the changes in WordPress 3.8 have thrown that off the redirection script. I’m working on an update for the theme but until then, I have instructions in this post: https://support.organizedthemes.com/forums/topic/redirect-post/ that can help you redirect them until then.

Good question about the slideshow loading. The slideshow will pop up as soon as the images load in it. Here’s what I would do to speed things up.

1. Make the image files as small as possible. I would suggest aiming for 45kb in size. You can use a photo editor to make the size smaller. Say it takes your sever 1 second to generate the page before the browser can start displaying it, this plugin will save that second.

2. Use the WP Super Cache plugin. This plugin can help in a couple of ways. First it keeps a copy of the page views of your site and shows those to new visitors. That speeds things up by not requiring WordPress to rebuild the page each time.

It also has an option for gzip compression which will compress everything on your site as it’s sent from your server. That will reduce the time required for everything to load as well.

Let me know if you run into any trouble,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Slides load last?’ is closed to new replies.