Sliders Home Page

Support Area Forums Moonrise Sliders Home Page

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    chowsir88
    Participant

Hello Bill,

It is possible that to increase the slider image on home page, currently the fixsliders is 906×607, if can be changed to full size like (1847×500 or 1847×300) so to match the size of Home > Section of two image option.

Please advice.

Ricky

Bill Robbins

Ricky,

Thank you for your business and great question too. You can do that. Here’s how:

1. Go to the theme options page and select the styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

#five .section-wrap {
      	width: 100%;
      }

You’ll need to change the five to the number of the section where you’re using the slider.

3. Update your settings.

You may also need to increase the size of the images that will be scaled a bit. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit.
    2. From the files on your right, choose images.php and find this spot:

add_image_size('slide', 960, 640, true);

3. Change the 960 to the width you’d like to use in pixels and the 640 to the height. The browser will still scale the images up to match the size of the window, but having a larger starting image will give you a better result.
    4. Save your changes.

The image size changes will only affect images you upload after the changes. To change any images you’ve already uploaded you’ll need to use the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin to do that.

If you have any trouble, let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

chowsir88
    Participant

Bill,

Thanks, I think it is working and I got the slider image size upto 1847×600. However, I copied to custom css per your instruction

#five .section-wrap {
    }

Does not work but I changed to

.section-wrap {
    }

This is workig fine, can you check it is okay for the input?

Bill Robbins

Ricky,

You could use:

.section-wrap {
    }

instead of

#section-number .section-wrap {
    }

but it will affect all sections and not just the one with the slider in it. As long as that’s not a problem for you, you’re good to go.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Evelyn Townsend
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I’ve tried the instructions above, and found that without the section indicated the menu expands to the width specified.

How do I determine which section is the very first image that shows on your sample page. I tried

#one .section-wrap {
    }

but this isn’t having any effect. I also installed and ran the regenerate thumbnails plugin.

Thanks,
    Evelyn

Evelyn Townsend
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Looking in the widget area, I see a home page content area. If that is where the image or slider is to go, I’m a little confused. I don’t see an image, slider, or featured page widget that would make sense to use there.

I see the slider settings in the setup area. How do we use sliders? My apologies if this is a rudimentary question.

Thanks,
    Evelyn

Evelyn Townsend
    Participant

I’m not sure if this will help determine my issue or not, but it seems I have to put the image in the home page (add media) vs the site using what I have uploaded into section one theme options – home.

I’ve also uploaded info into the contacts page widget area (text widget) and it is not showing on the contact page.

I’ve looked through the options and settings, and do not see what I am missing.

Thanks,
    Evelyn

Evelyn Townsend
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I seem to have things somewhat working. I’ve discovered under media a section called slide. Using that in combination with theme settings section one slider it shows the image as expected. I couldn’t get this working with home page as set out in the instructions. I tried it as a media upload and featured image but neither worked.

1. When I scroll, however, the content does not roll up as it did in the sample. How does that work?

2. Also, is there a way to move the slider image closer to the logo?

Thanks!
    Evelyn

Bill Robbins

Evelyn,

Let me see if I can help. The home page has seven sections that you can use. In the theme options page, they are listed under the “Home” tab. Here’s what the first section looks like:

Let’s walk through each one of these options.

1. Section One Type: this lets you choose what type of content is show in section one. Here are the options:

• None: This leaves that section blank
    • Slideshow: This uses the slides from the Media > Slides section. If you need help adding slides, there is a quick screencast in our video section. It’s made with the Progress theme, but it’s the same principal in all our themes.
    • Services: This will display services groups as you choose in the “services” tab.
    • Menu: This will display menu groups as you choose in the menu tab.
    • Staff: This displays a staff group that you choose on the staff tab.
    • Page: If you’d like to display the content from a WordPress page, choose page here and then select the page from the drop down menu below that marked “section one page content.
    • Widget Block: To display a block of WordPress widgets, choose this and then add the widgets to the “Home” sidebar. The home sidebar is only visible if this option is assigned to a home page section.
    • Contact: this will display the contact block as defined by the “Contact” tab and also any widgets in the contact sidebar.
    • 2. Title

If you’d like to have a title displayed for that section, enter it here.

3. Section One Page Content

If you’ve selected “page” as the option you’d like displayed, choose the page you’d like to show here. The only time you need to use this option is when you’ve selected to display a page.

This would be useful if you’d like to include an “about” section or just general text on your home page.

4. Section One Image

This will display the large image that’s attached to the section. You’ll want to use a large image of around 1800 pixels wide here so that it spans well and doesn’t become pixelated.

5. Section One Image Height

You can choose how large of a “window” the section one image is viewable through with this option.

Those are repeated for each of the seven sections. It’s important to note that anything you’d like displayed on your home page will only be shown if it’s assigned to one of these sections.

You had mentioned the contact section not being displayed. You have to assign it to a section in order for it to be visible.

I set it up that way so you wouldn’t be stuck with the order that I created the site or even any particular type of content. I wanted to make it as flexible as possible.

Also for the widget context, I changed the text widget there from show to hide since it’s only visible on the front page. With it set to show it was actually hiding the widget for you instead of displaying it.

Hopefully that will help clear things up a bit. You only need to use the original code snippet from this thread if you want to make a full-width slideshow. To have the images in a window like the demo does, just add those to the home tab in the theme options page.

If you have any questions, let me know,
      Bill

Evelyn Townsend
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thank you for this explanation and also for the modifications.

I had read through the instructions thoroughly and do understand the structure of the home page and how to add content to the home page this way. That works – thank you.

It took me a bit to understand that the sections were pre-defined within the theme. Those are sections we can add ourselves if desired. Great design 🙂

Perhaps I wasn’t clear in expressing where I wanted the contact info to show, my apologies. Getting the Contact Info and Hours etc to show on the home page I understand, but I wanted the information on the Contact Page separate from the home page (i.e. accessible from the menu at the top) and not as part of the home page with the menu. How do I get the contact sidebar widget area to show on that page please? The contact that is now at the bottom of page one I would like exactly as is on the contact page accessible from the menu bar.

Still, the favicon I uploaded does not show (General).

Thanks so much for your help Bill!

Evelyn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Sliders Home Page’ is closed to new replies.