Sitemap

Support Area Forums Kerygma Sitemap

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://severnaparkumc.org
  • Author
    Ryan Hennesy
    Participant

I’ve use the WP Sitemap Page pluging to generate a sitemap. The content is in a page called, shockingly, Sitemap.

I’ve included that page content in the Footer Sidebar widget on the homepage, and it’s… there.

Would it be possible to make the list three columns, and put it underneath the other content in the footer? I’d like the address & phone number and the social media icons to be above the sitemap.

If I need to use a different plugin, or get the sitemap setup a different way to make this happen, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Bill Robbins

Ryan,

I would approach it like this. Instead of using the plugin, I would make three separate navigation menus, one for each of the columns you’d like to have. Then add those navigation menus using WordPress’ “Custom Menu Widget.”

That’ll give you more control over the list of pages and will allow you to break it up into three columns. I believe that widget area in the footer is made to form three columns out of the box.

If you run into questions or trouble, let me know.

Take care,
    Bill

Ryan Hennesy
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve made three menus, but I’m not really sure how to put them in the footer. If I use the Custom Menu option in the Footer Sidebar in the Widgets sections, it arranges them weirdly (including, but not limited to, borrowing the formatting that we’ve setup here). It also doesn’t include all three menus, even though they’re all in the Footer Sidebar Widget.

The formatting (i.e. correct font) is “regular” on the other pages, but the other menus still don’t show up.

I thought about trying to include them in the footer section elsewhere, by going through the Theme Customization section, but those are only text boxes, and I’m not sure how to include the menu that way.

I’m headed home from work now, but I’ll be working on this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Robbins

Hi Ryan,

In your Custom CSS, this section:

.home .widget_nav_menu ul {
    	text-align: center;
    font-family: "Oswald", Raleway, Brawler, sans-serif;
      font-style: normal;
    font-size: 30px;
    	margin: 0;

}

.home .widget_nav_menu ul li {
    	display: inline-block;
    	padding: 35px 20px;
    }

.home .widget_nav_menu ul.sub-menu {
    	display: none;
    }

will change how those navigation menus look on the home page. You might change those to be like this:

.home-widgets .widget_nav_menu ul li {
    	display: inline-block;
    	padding: 35px 20px;
    }

.home-widgets .widget_nav_menu ul.sub-menu {
    	display: none;
    }

which should make it only target the custom menu widgets that are in one of the home page sections and not the footer.

See if changing that won’t make a difference for you.

Ryan Hennesy
    Participant

Hi Bill,

One quick thing about this sitemap…

Is there a way to swap the two sections of the footer, so that the sitemap is below the section that contains the address and social icons?

Bill Robbins

Hi Ryan,

Good question. If you want to make a child theme, you could copy over the theme’s footer.php file to it. Then you could move this:

<?php if ( is_active_sidebar( 'footer_sidebar' ) ) : ?>

<div id="footer-sidebar" class="clearfix">

<?php dynamic_sidebar( 'footer_sidebar' ); ?>

</div><!-- #footer-sidebar -->

<?php endif ; // is_active_sidebar ?>

just below this:

</div><!-- #footer-right -->

That should swap their order. Make sure to do that change in a child theme or you’ll lose the modification when you update the original theme in the future.

Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Sitemap’ is closed to new replies.