Sidebar menus

Support Area Forums Forward Sidebar menus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Anastasia Connor
    Participant

Hi,

Is there a plugin that would allow me to create sidebar menus for a number of pages that have sub-pages? Dropdowns are OK but they don’t looks great against the slider.

Thank you very much,

Ax

Participant

Hey,

I’ve been looking at Simple Page Sidebars, I’ve not had a chance to play with that yet but it should do the trick. That combined with the Custom Menu widget which comes with WordPress/Jetpack should work.

Bill Robbins

There is a “custom menu” widget that’s part of the WordPress core. It lets you display any WordPress menu as a list in a sidebar. That’s probably the best way to do that.

Bill

Anastasia Connor
    Participant

Thanks but I think things are a bit trickier here. What I need as smth like an embedded menu on some pages but not on others. Some of the items on those menus will feed through to other pages and others to posts. Is it smth that can be done relatively easily?

Thanks again and have a great weekend,

Anastasia x

Participant

If you use the plugin I suggested, that can have custom sidebars (and widgets) for different pages. So you don’t have to have the same side bar for every page.

PS – Sorry Bill and Anastasia, do tell me if I’m overstepping in trying to help.

Bill Robbins

There are probably a few different way to approach it. You can use a widget management plugin like Sam suggested. That way you add different widgets to different pages.

Another option would be to use a plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/child-page-navigation/ . It adds a widget that displays the child pages of the current page. For that to work you would need to have the sub-menu items in your navigation also be child-pages as far as the site structure is concerned.

You can make a page a child page by editing it. The look in the right hand column for the attributes box. There is a drop-down menu there to set a parent page. Update the page when you’re finished.

For this to work, you’ll have to set the parent/child arrangement of your pages to match how you’d like the pages to be displayed in the widget.

Just a thought.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Sidebar menus’ is closed to new replies.