Several things going on

Support Area Forums Agency Several things going on

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.atlanta-businesses.com/
  • Author
    Participant

Hello Bill,

First here are couple of things that are going on:

on edit a page there is no featured image to just have an image instead of slides. (I do have one slide implemented that is why you see a picture)
    there is also no choice of home page, full-width, etc.

Then when it comes to changes I want to do

I want the website to have a column on the left and right side of all pages.
    I would like to move the logo above the picture of Atlanta
    when I look at the website on my phone the logo is above the image and I would like to change the background color behind the logo.

One more thing is I do not want the search engines to index the content in the sidebars and would like to use this command no indexing by any search engines so that they don’t.

Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Participant

This is what I did on the sidebar.php page

Participant

That didn’t show up right!

At the beginning I put

Bill Robbins

Hello Durenda,

Hope you’re well today and prepared for tomorrow’s snow. I’m mostly out sick today–I got the flu three weeks ago and now have bronchitis and just feel awful.

Just to make sure I’m understanding you, when you’re editing a page, you don’t see the boxes for the featured image or the attributes box that has the template drop-down menu in it, correct? Did you happen to click the screen options tab in the top right hand corner when editing a page and see if those boxes are turned on there? Occasionally they will just disappear but can be brought back through that little menu.

If that’s not the case, let me know and if you can send over a login so I can take a look.

So are you looking to create a second sidebar on the other side of the page? You can do that. What I would do is create a new file in the theme called sidebar-second.php and in it, place this code:

<div id="secondary-sidebar">

<?php dynamic_sidebar('secondary') ?>

</div>

(Make sure to copy all the code from the support site and not the notification emails.)

Then you’ll need to edit the widgets.php file and find this section:

register_sidebar( array(
    			'id' => 'category',
    			'name' => __('Category Sidebar', 'organizedthemes'),
    			'description' => __('Displays on archive pages (like categories)', 'organizedthemes'),
    			'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">', 
    			'after_widget' => '</div>', 
    			'before_title' => '<h3 class="widget-title">', 
    			'after_title' => '</h3>'
    		) );

That’s how WordPress registers a sidebar area and adds it to the widgets screen in your admin. Right below that, but before the } that closes out that function, add this:

register_sidebar( array(
    			'id' => 'secondary',
    			'name' => __('Secondary Sidebar', 'organizedthemes'),
    			'description' => __('Adds another column of widgets.', 'organizedthemes'),
    			'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">', 
    			'after_widget' => '</div>', 
    			'before_title' => '<h3 class="widget-title">', 
    			'after_title' => '</h3>'
    		) );

and save your changes. That should add a new sidebar area to your admin. Now we’ll have to load it on the front end of the site. I’m not building this out as I go so this may take some adjustment, but let’s try this first. Edit the header.php file. Scroll down to the very bottom and add this:

<?php get_sidebar( 'secondary' ); ?>

and save your changes. If all has gone well, this will now insert our widgets before the page content. We want them before so that we can place them on the other side of the content from the widgets that are loaded after the content.

From there you’ll need to add some styling to it. Probably something like this to get started:

#secondary-sidebar {
    	float: left;
    	width: 300px;
    }

Hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care,
    Bill

Participant

I tried this on the header.php and then I put it in page.php and it didn’t work.

I did add this to the sidebar-second.php

Also you may need to know that I did have a different theme and switch to yours. You are correct on the featured image and template drop-down menu. I just sent you a username and password.

Please let me know what you do to get the sidebar to work.

Also I would like to get rid of the horizontal line that used to be under the page title. I would also like to get rid of the bullets on the categories and in the widget with the list of companies in the sidebar.

I hope you get to feeling better! Being sick sucks!

Bill Robbins

Hey Durenda,

I think the trouble with your featured images is because of the Dynamic Featured Image plugin. It may work great, but it appears to require some different coding on the front end of the site. I didn’t want to go and start making changes to your site, but that’s where I’d start.

The standard troubleshooting is:

1. Disable all plugins and see if the problem resolves. If it does, turn them back on, one by one until the problem comes back. Then you’ll know where the conflict is.
    2. If it’s not a plugin, switch to one of the default WordPress themes (any of the twenty year ones). Check the problem again. If it’s cleared up, then our trouble is in the theme.
    3. If it didn’t clear up with the default theme, then we likely have an issue with the WordPress installation or the server. I typically use the option to reinstall WordPress from the updates section of the dashboard here. Sometimes that helps. Often a support request with the host is required here.

I did make a goof in giving you the code above. The call to the sidebar should be this:

<?php get_sidebar( 'second' ); ?>

not this:

<?php get_sidebar( 'secondary' ); ?>

The word inside the function has to match the second word in the file name.

Also I would leave the code inside the sidebar-second.php file the same. If you swap it out for the code in the original sidebar it’ll end up loading the same widgets twice. If you keep the original code you can add in different widgets there.

I’m in no way trying to be unkind, but that’s about as far as I can go in helping with those customizations. Support is more helping use a theme as it’s designed or helping to fix a bug. I do help a lot with customizations, but that’s something that’s outside of the official scope of my support. Hopefully that’ll get you pointed in the right direction for the sidebar.

As often as you build WordPress sites, I would get the book Dig WP (http://digwp.com). It’s a helpful e-book that I used quite often, especially when I was starting out.

Take care,
    Bill

Participant

Both of the sidebars are working but the original one is down the page. I took the code out that I copied from the original sidebar and that did not change it.

Participant

I just tried buying that book but there was a problem with paypal. So I sent an email to let them know. I then found this book http://wp-tao.com/wordpress-themes-book/. Do you think I should buy this one instead?

Bill Robbins

Hey Durenda,

Glad that both are up and working now. Looks like you’re almost there. Try making the #content area a bit smaller (maybe 500px). Once that’s done, I think things will snap in line a bit more.

Bill

Bill Robbins

You had also asked about tags to keep Google from indexing part of a page. There’s an article at http://perishablepress.com/tell-google-to-not-index-certain-parts-of-your-page/ that can show you the tags you’ll need to use to set that up. It looks like you add a specific comment in the HTML before and after to mark those.

Participant

I changed it to 500 and it didn’t work

Bill Robbins

Keep at it. I have faith you can sort it out.

Participant

I got it to work. I would like to change the color of the background in the mobile picture I put a circle on it. Just need you to tell me what to look for in the css. The other picture I would like to get rid of the line that was under the title. I circled it too.

Bill Robbins

The mobile menu takes the same colors as the “hover” state of the menu. If you need to style them separately this CSS will do that:

#header select.tinynav {
    	background-color: #000000;	
    }

To hide the border on the page titles use this:

h1.page-title {
    	border-bottom: none;
    }

Participant

Hello Bill,

The background of the mobile did not change the color. It changed the menu color. There is a green color behind that above the header image that I want to change the color of. Please look at the picture again. Thanks. I did buy the book. Thanks for recommending it.

Bill Robbins

Do you mean the header background color? There’s an option in the Styling tab of the theme options to change it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Several things going on’ is closed to new replies.