Settings import broken?

Support Area Forums Epic Settings import broken?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    David Miller
    Participant

So I installed a plugin that did something I needed but the CSS didn’t blend in with my site very well, so I made a child theme of Epic to allow me to override some of the CSS. However, that lost all of my widget and menu settings.

So I switched back to Epic, used the theme settings exports to save the settings, then switched back to my child theme and tried to import them again, and got the following error:

string(4) “epic”
    Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/fumcholland/fumcholland.org/wp-content/themes/epic/inc/options-backup.php:270) in /home/fumcholland/fumcholland.org/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1121

The import of course failed. This is using the version of Epic that I just downloaded from here a couple hours ago.

Bill Robbins

Let’s see if we can get to the bottom of things for you. When you switch to a child theme, you’ll have to move your widgets back into place (they should end up in the inactive widgets spot) and assign your menu location again (the navigation menu is still there, it just needs a location). Those items are tied to the theme and child themes are considered new themes with WordPress so those need to be moved around again when you activate one.

Did you make the export in the child theme and import it into the regular theme or vice versa? I’ve never tested that as a possibility. The options are stored based on the active theme so that could cause trouble too.

Occasionally someone will run into trouble with a plugin that interferes with the import. And occasionally an import will say it failed when it actually did import. You might check and see if the content was added.

I just ran an export from the demo site to a local version and didn’t turn up any error messages there.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

David Miller
    Participant

I exported from the real Epic theme, then switched to my child theme and tried to import. It did not actually import anything (got that error, and everything was still missing).

I ended up making a screenshot of my widgets screen while using Epic and then using it as a reference to put everything back in my child theme.

Bill Robbins

I suspect the error came from exporting from the parent and then importing into the child theme. While there is a dependency there, they’re considered separate themes and that likely is the issue with the import.

Sorry about that.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Settings import broken?’ is closed to new replies.