series and podcasts

Support Area Forums Pneuma series and podcasts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,

I plan to use Pneuma as a more standard site but using the “podcasts” as info pages in a series (no actual podcast) More or less like your demo but no video or podcast.

I cannot give you the url as I am developing on localhost (osx).

I have installed page builder and the siteorigin widget bundle.

It was all working fine up to this morning when I could not access the series entries anymore – I receive a “not found” when trying to access “…../index.php/series/singing” where “singing” is one of the series that is shown on the home page similar to your demo (like your stories).

I can look at the series and sure enough “singing” is there as expected. However, if I then go to the podcast or click on the “count” field to the right of the series I can edit the podcast ok but get the “not found” if I attempt to view it (or any podcast for that matter) These worked last night.

I also note that there seems to be different series types mentioned – “current series”, “recent series”, “popular series” (where you have the series name cloud). I have tried the page builder “recent series” and “current series” widgets but neither work anymore (last night one of them at least did – your default as per the demo but with my series and podcasts)

It also seems to be date related. What does “current” and “recent” and “popular” really mean and how is this determined ??. I did delete one series entry (“singing”) and added it again – it now seems to be the “current” but still does not work.

I would rather not start again but maybe the database is a mess and I have to – if you have any clues great.

Paul

Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,

On further investigation, I have found the cause if not the reason..
    As I tend to deactivate all unused plugins by habit, I cleaned up and deactivated “The Events calendar” before testing today. I tried to go back to where it all worked again, activated “The Events calendar”, and it all worked.

It all gets a bit messy when one seemingly unrelated plugin affects other things but I guess there are functions being shared (maybe).

It would be nice to tidy this up and understand what happened but anyway – its all good again. Hopefully this may help someone who falls into the same trap.

Can you give me a brief on what “current” and “recent” series (or podcasts) mean and what affect this may have down the track.

Thanks in advance Paul

Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,

Spoke too soon.
    It has failed again. this time I simply get a browser message
    “The requested URL /~paulspiller/wordpress_base/series/singing/ was not found on this server.”
    The home page is fine but when I click on the series link (image) that is all I get. I note that the “index.php” is now missing ???

It seems a bit fragile.

I also note that there is now numerous “news” items from “Modern Tribe” (The Events Calendar owners) I dont want any plugin calling home at all unless it is under my control. Whether this is related I do not know. I dont want the events calendar at all and wish to remove this from the equation.

The template looks very promising and I would be reluctant to use another (I have a few of yours which have been very reliable). May not be the template of course.

Paul

Bill Robbins

Hi Paul,

Let’s try this first. About 95% of not found errors in WordPress are related to permalinks. Go to the settings section in your WordPress dashboard and click on permalinks. Choose the post name option there and save your settings. Even if you already had post name selected, save your settings. When the permalinks are saved, it clears out their cache and that typically fixes those errors.

If that doesn’t do it, then select the default permalink option and save your settings. See if the links can be visited now.

Let me know what you turn up.

Thanks,
    Bill

Paul Spiller
    Participant

Bill,
    And there I was during a panic moment where I had a fleeting doubt about the template – I ought to have known better.

To my amazement, that worked fine and I could even deactivate the events calendar. I don’t pretend to understand why. It seems the wordpress gang have an issue to look at. I have settled on the default setting for now.

Still not sure about what “current” and “recent” series mean but its doing what I require at the moment.

Again, you have provided top notch support – thanks.

Paul

Bill Robbins

Hi Paul,

At least when you’re working locally, the permalinks aren’t quite as important as they are on a live site.

It could be that WordPress doesn’t have permission to edit the .htaccess file on your computer that controls items like permalinks. When that happens the database is updated to reflect the new URLs but the server can’t supply them since that file is incorrect.

Have a great weekend and let me know if you run into any other questions.

Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘series and podcasts’ is closed to new replies.