SEO? Site Not Ranking Well At All

Support Area Forums Bottega SEO? Site Not Ranking Well At All

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    John Jenkins
    Participant

I seem to be having quite a bit of difficulty getting Google to rank this site not only on the front page, but even somewhere close. I have about a dozen websites (some built – some still sitting on a WP Twenty Ten/Eleven theme) that are all on the front page or just beyond for my keyword (as well as business name) of Steve’s Corner Bar. This isn’t exactly a competitive niche. According to Google it first looked at and cached this site in late August, and most recently just a few days ago. My site (www.StevesCornerBar.com) is not de-indexed, it just ranks virtually as poorly as a site could rank when searching “Steves Corner Bar” or any slight variation. I’ve never had this problem before with the buildout of hundreds of sites. I am not saying it IS the theme, I am just exploring all my options and maybe there truly is something I overlooked here that I did that is harming me. I did install YOAST but was not thrilled with it, so switched back to my tried-and-true plugin of All-In-One SEO pack – which has been a gem for me on other sites. I have a calendar system called Timely installed on here, but, Google actually seems to like that, giving me strong rankings when searching for the event and locale published via my calendar entries. I’m truly at a loss here, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Robbins

John,

I haven’t had any reports of trouble with people ranking using the theme. I’ve made about a dozen restaurant sites using the same basic framework and didn’t have any issues there either. But you’re having trouble and that’s what’s important here. This is where I’d start.

Keywords: Research your keywords and make sure you have content that relates to them. You may want to add in another text widget to the home page. You could also rearrange them just a bit so the text widget is before the events one. That will give you more copy earlier in the page. You could float the other widgets to the right so it still lines up like it does at the present.

Links: Make sure you have quality back links. Since it’s a restaurant site, make sure every social profile mentions your home page. Work on building quality links from other sites. Also make sure you don’t have any links that Google might could consider “black-hat.” They are quite aggressive at penalizing sites that, in their estimation, do that.

That’s where I would go next,
    Bill

John Jenkins
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. Problem solved via robots.txt. Google kept insisting on crawling my admin login page. Never had this happen before. Now it crawled the actual page (the majority of) and I am top-ish front page where I should be. Thnx again for the theme!

Bill Robbins

John,

That’s a new one for me too. I’m glad you found the problem. If I can help, just let me know.

Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘SEO? Site Not Ranking Well At All’ is closed to new replies.